Is it bad to leave heaters in the sun?

Sarah

So a while ago I had a few cases of dropsy, so the past few days I've been cleaning everything, tearing the tank down and whatnot (also cleaning new tanks).

Anyway, this includes the heaters - and I left everything to soak in the sun. Mum just tells me that it can break the heaters if they're left to get too hot? Never really considered it, but DOES seem plausible.

So, is it not a good idea to leave them?

I've since brought the heaters inside, but they have been outside since yesterday afternoon.

I leave all my Tanks and heaters in the sun after a full clean and havent had a problem I like the idea of them getting totaly solarized ( its just the hippy in me) I do make sure I give them a wipe with alcahol before using them again. I even sun my CTs now and there rays arre ammazing.

Cheers

Les

Like any piece of electrical equipment, extremes of temperature should be avoided, but, having said that... You're talking about heaters!!! Designed to get hot.

Your mum is right about the glass potentially cracking, but not likely to happen in this situation. It's possible when there are rapid changes in temperature... eg putting a cold heater into HOT water or (I'm sure a few of us have experienced this) forgetting to turn off a heater during a water change - it gets really hot once the water level drops, then when refilling the tank the cold water cracks the glass.

Gradual temperature changes aren't a problem.

Edit: Les you may have an excellent experiment on your hands with the CTs. Crooked or curled rays might be like a fishy rickets (vitamin d deficiency when occurring in childhood/immature bones). Exposure to UV light is an essential part of Vitamin D metabolism. I wonder if you could have a CT spawn split into two tanks - one that gets sunlight and one kept indoors - and assess the straightness of their rays.

Edited by paul

Thanks for the info guys! I HAVE done it in the past, just good to know I didn't just wreak like 5 heaters.

Re sunlight - very interesting. Hopefully when I get my spawns going I'd also love to try that. Not setting up spawns until fish room is built (starts Saturday YAY), and it will get a bit of morning sunlight, and also a bit of afternoon, too.

MIGHHHTTT bring in one tank into my room and compare. Room is pretty dark, only a tiny window that doesn't let a whole lot of light in.

Quite so, Les!

As for pair of CT, yes, I would need one... oops? Need to get more fish? shifty.gif

Have always thought that CT crooked or bent ways was due to water conditions (environmental), but could very well be a combination of both lack of UV & water conditions.

Thats right Jarrod Jakkata has very soft water as there are no limestone deposites anywhere near there watershed. Most Islands on the Sanda shelf have vocanic soils and activity. They also use Teak leaves in there water to give the Tanins.

Cheers

les