A.Gardneri Udi-Berge

les

ok so I found one fry this arvo, It wasnt there this morning and it is so small I almost missed it on my afternoon fish feed and check. Should I leave it in with the eggs and put all the fry that hatch in there new tank when they are all hatched? MMMDid that make sense.

Cheers

Les

OK so I did post this on the Killi fish Forum but wanted to post hear as well. I will also be employing a town cryer to tell the whole of Perth:lol:

My Killi fish eggs arrived todayB-) and I fell like its Christmass ( Thankyou Davo ) I followed all of Serkans Instructions and now I am just waiting for them to hatch as soon as they do Ill be posting picks

Cheers

les

@ Busman

Just get some eggs of Davo, they are a great price and you get the experiance of rasing them from fry. I am sure it would be a great project to do with your boys. What type has Jodie got? There is a guy over hear in Perth that has Nothorbranchius Rachovii plus twenty other types and I would realy love to get some eggs and give them a try, I will just have to get a bit more info on there rearing and keeping first.

Cheers

Les

Well as you guys know I am extremely biased when I say this but, killifish in Australia are a highly underrated fish. To me $60 to $100 a pair is cheap as chips as you are more likely to breed a pair of killifish than any other pair of fish I know off. If you see a pair at someone's or anywhere else for that matter and you like them and have the space they are an awesome fish to get.

They have different (species to species) and interesting finnage, most have amazing marking and colour, their breeding biology is fascinating, and some killifish happen to be the easiest egg spawning fish to breed.

Fry are relatively straight forward to raise. They can tolerate your bad fish keeping skills (within reason) etc etc.

My main motivation has always been to see more people keep killifish. It has taken me a long while and enormous effort to develop my collection of killifish. I feel much much better when I hear of others keeping some of the species I have. I'd hate to loose a species from my fishroom and find out that no one else in the country is keeping them. Some fish take decades if not longer (sometimes never) to re-appear.

Here is a short list of some I cry over:

Aphyosemion bualanum

Chromaphyosemion splendopleure

Chromaphyosemion riggenbachi

Fundulopanchax mirabilis moensis

Fundulopanchax gresensi Takwai

Fundulopanchax marmoratus

Fundulopanchax spoorenbergi

:((:(( :((

If anyone finds any of the above (and there are a couple of dozen more) please let me know. I am happy to spend $100 per pair and want minimum 4 pairs.

Anyway, back on track;

Les, your eggs should hatch within 2 weeks. Depending on when they were collected and the average temp they are kept at, they'll take anywhere from 12 days to 16 days to hatch +or- a day here and there.

All the best with them and sounds like you are ready for them food etc wise anyway.

Serkan

Hey Serkan

Thanks for the info and once again for the double forum post, I just thought as much info hear might encourage others. Ken has invited me over to see his set up so I will be going there as soon as we organise a day next week. I think after seeing what I ned to deal with I should feel a little less nerves about Killies. There seems to be quite a few Killi fish breeders hear in Perth so That will make it a little easyer on the learning curve I hope

If I see anything thats on your bucket list I will be sure to let you know

Cheers

Les

I must check on these eggs at least four times a day, its like waighting to open a present. The eggs where collected on the 17/03/12 so they are 10 days old today so I only have to hang out for another 2 to 6 days:DIt feels like I am waiting to open a present.

Cheers

les

I can see two of the eggs are sqigly looking inside, so that is a change from what they where. I have to use jewlers glass's to see though.

Cheers

les

1 to 5 days left before hatching

ok so I found one fry this arvo, It wasnt there this morning and it is so small I almost missed it on my afternoon fish feed and check. Should I leave it in with the eggs and put all the fry that hatch in there new tank when they are all hatched? MMMDid that make sense.

Cheers

Les

Hope the rest hatch too. Sometimes you need to put the eggs in a small container put the lid on, put it in your pocket and go for a walk! The eggs might hatch then.

Also I keep forgetting to mention. The fish is called Udi-Berge (meaning Udi Mountain). ;)

Ah Ha

Thanks Serkan I am so slack somtimes I think I put it on the Killie forum as Uni instead of Udi :embarrass: I make sure I check spelling next time.

There have been no more eggs hatch but two more look viable from what I can see.

I will try and get more eggs when they come up for sale so I have a decent population to breed with

Cheers

Les

PS I read somwhere to put MW in with the eggs and take them for a brisk walk, can you tell me what the MW do to help the eggs hatch?

MW agitate the egg. Sometimes the fry is unable to break the egg wall to free itself and the MW helps. Putting the eggs in a small jar and going for a walk is the same. Some also say that if you put the eggs in a jar and put the lid on and drop the jar into a deep tank, the change in pressure as the jar sits on the tank bottom also help in hatching.

Thanks Serkan

I realy do like to know the reasone why I am doing somthing, and who would have thought these two methods could get eggs to hatch. I will try it with the last lot of eggs in this lot

Cheers

Les

What CO2 theory? Please explain

I took the last of the Udi-Berge eggs with the addition of MW for a walk last night but there where no hatchings this morning I dont think Ken got any from his ether so I will get some more soon as I can

Cheers

les

Edited by les