So, I went and bought these kids on impulse... Why?!

kertaz

So I was window shopping yesterday and found these kids. Bought 5 of them, and 3 of them are plakads! They're not big enough for spawning (or at least 3 of them aren't), but here's hoping sometimes in the future!

Problem is, they didn't sell any girls. So well.. I'm still kinda stuck with 1 CT black orchid girl which is now beaten up by the CT male.

HM Yellow

P1040189.jpg

Delta/SD Yellow (I think this one has slight combtail - but has butterfly pattern. The hardest to take pic, so the head isn't included in the pic..)

P1040186.jpg

The Plakads!!

P1040166.jpg

P1040175.jpg

This one was sold as MG, but I'm not sure. Could be female. He/She wasn't interested in flaring when I took picture of him/her.

P1040160.jpg

What kind of girl should I look for the boys above? (especially to improve those boys' forms)

Colour wise, would a copper girl match with any of them? What about opaque?

Thanks for looking! :D

*lol* and I thought I was bad with my impulse buys... I'll wait for someone with a little more genetic knowledge to chime in with what you should get apart from the obvious (HM yellow female)

If you were willing to put in the work, you could put your black orchid girly with that orchidy looking HMPK boy and work on creating some Black Orchid CTPKs.

CTPK! That's an awesome suggestion. The thought didn't come to my mind! I was thinking maybe crossing the CT girl with the slightly combtail SD/D Butterfly Yellow boy and uh.. what would I end up with?

That reminds me too, how did your attempt to create CTPK with Busman go?

The plakad above the orchidy looking PK seems like a yellow orchid? lol (I think patterns look similar to the orchidy plakad but spread on yellow instead of black)

What would yellow orchid plakad X black orchid CT produce?

A mess! *lol*

You'll get multi coloured combtails. You most certainly get a lot of red wash. You'll get some yellow back in the second generation...

Busman and I have had no luck. None of our fish like one another. *lol* I'm about to try a blue yellow CT x HMPK cross. The blue female carries yellow, so hoping for yellow "orchid" CTPKs down the track. When doing a colour cross like that, it helps to know the background of the fish.

Hey kertaz, crossing the black PK with the yellow PK is likely to give you red fish with the same amount of blue irid distribution (minimal blue). If the black fish has non-red heritage, you might get some that look like the yellow one. Also you will probably get some "chocolate" coloured fish if the black one has non-red genes (ie brown).

edit: BTW that last one - definitely a boy. Unsprouted yellow delta. Looks to have dragon influence in irids too. Might get more blue as it grows to give it more of the "mustarg gas" appearance but I dought the colours will deepen much more than what you're already seeing.

Edited by paul

Hey Felix, whereabouts are you in Indonesia? There are some good breeders I can hook you up with if you're interested in getting better quality fish. The guys I know all travel to Thailand and around SE Asia regularly to attend IBC shows so even if they're not breeding what you're looking for, they can always bring something back for you.