Polluted water

Fletch

As the people at the meeting know, I decided to treat my shrimp to some banana yesterday. Left the piece in overnight, took it out first thing this morning. Tank looked fine.

This arvo the water is cloudy and most of the shrimp are up the top which is unusual.

I did a 40% wc and the water is still cloudy.

What do I do? There is no filter in this tank. Should I drain 80% and refill? I also noticed tiny baby shrimp for the first time as well. I don't really want my tank to crash now.

Help.

I've overfed my shrimp tank by accident recently and I didn't noticed until the water was so cloudy and I lost about 10 large shrimps! I did 2 50% WC within 3 days and focusing on the bottom of the tank and the water quickly cleared up and I haven't lost anyone since.

Bacterial bloom will be using up the oxygen in the water I'd guess.

Some water changes would be good, also adding a bubbler or internal filter (something that makes a splash) for a while to add some aeration might be beneficial. Remember to pre-filter to protect your shrimplets if using the latter.

Sure it'll be alright Paul, I've had it happen a couple times when accidentally overfeeding. Shrimp are tough :D

Edited by Pyrefly

Keep Up the water changes Paul untill it stays clear. If I want to spoil my cherrys I steem a small bit of zuchinni and when I say small I mean 7 cm x 2 cm and thats all I have never had a foul tank by doing that I dont think I would use fruit as the fructose can promote other Bacteria that you dont want I would sujest to be on the safe side just green veg but not brasica ( Cabage ECT) and no root crops ether. I star5ted off with only ten cherrys at the end of last summer and now have three two foot tanks full with heeps to use as feeders and all I do is finly grind in my fingers a pinch of fish flacks twice a week and a batch of algified Java fern once every second week once the Java fern is free of alge I put it back in a jar and pop it back out side till the alge blooms again. It wont fail you

Cheers

les