Shrimp Tank Version 2.0

shadoh

It looks great Jarrod! I do however, have a little too much time on my hands right at this minute, so I had to see if it would better if it were rearranged a little.

Maybe move the rock out the back (on the right) over to the left, Have a lot of action in one are around the left with the branch projecting out of the action. Adding depth and direction... me trying to be arty!

jarrodstankalternative.jpg

I love photoshop! its fun!

Come on Paul, now you are making it look symmetrical. I thought it was all about the art of asymmetrical understatement. I'm afraid you're overthinking the original brief. Either that or just showing off *lol*

Edited by shadoh

Thanks for the shrimp Pyrefly! They are settling in nicely and are colouring up :)

Since adding the shimp last night, something has happened to the water. At first, I thought the shrimp had disturbed the sand and there were sand particles floating through the water. I have had a closer look and the particles seem to be wiggling and moving. This is through the entire tank - they are about the size of vinegar eels and white in colour. I tried to take photos, but it doesn't show up. The shrimp are happy, so doesn't seem to have an effect on them.

Any ideas? Bacterial bloom? Something else?

All sorts of little creepy crawlies in my shrimp tank Jarrod :D

If they don't upset the shrimp I leave them be!

Thrilled they're settling in nicely! Probably a new clutch if you have one berried already, I avoided them when I was catching (Didnt think it was fair to make them travel like that.)

Got up this morning to the biggest female in the tank dead and the water smelling putrid. I removed the dead shrimp and did an emergency 60% water change. I don't know what else I can do. Looks like whatever caused it wasn't as innocent as nematodes... :(

I'm really sorry Jarrod, don't know what to say :(

Could there be something in the tank itself leaching into the water? Usually I wouldnt suspect water quality issues but since this is the second batch to do downhill I'm starting to wonder. Is this the tank you painted the back/sides of? Anything coppery would finish off shrimp pretty quickly.

Might try some purigen/charcoal in the filter if it has one, if its a contaminant that might help remove it.

All dead. This is the second lot to die. This isn't the tank that was painted. There is a young splendens living happily in that one. Nothing coppery or metallic, water seems fine (apart from what was supposedly nematodes in the water column). I'm going to cut my losses and say that I'm not meant to have shrimp. I'm barely hanging on to wanting to keep anything aquatic with repeated Betta failure, don't need more of the same. I will surely go mad if I tried this again and had the same result.

Thanks all for the support and thanks to Matt and Pyrefly for the shrimp. Sorry they never survived :(

Crappy Jarrod, sorry to hear it! Was the last thing you should have to put up with.

Might be a little too late, but the cloud of wrigglers probably were nematodes. They have most likely been there all along, just not in numbers enough to notice and probably had nothing to do with the shrimp dying. They were more likely a symptom of what went wrong in your tank.

The most likely explanation is that in setting up the new tank there was an initial bloom of bacteria. They became food for the nematodes and hence the nematode cloud. The huge spike in bioload then reduces the available oxygen and sends the tank into a spiral that results in a overwhelming increase in the anaerobic bacteria. These anaerobic bacteria are the nasties that produce the characteristic putrid smell and the toxins which kill the fish or critters in he tank. I know it's all too late, but it kinda makes sense. The tank was probably too immature to be adding livestock.

Just out of interest, were there any new pieces of driftwood in the tank?

Seeing as you only had the nematodes this time, could there be copper in the tank? Have you ever used any meds in the tank? If so, you could have copper leaching out of the silicone? This killed one of my first lots.

Don't give up Jarrod! You will figure it out :)