From Beechworth

Mal

Hi all, I thought it may be a good idea if I joined your group after two members mentioned it to me. I use to breed over one million fish a year but these days I just breed about 20 tons of black worms every year. My hobbies are fishing [for fun and food] and since I live in the country, shooting rabbits also for eating. I like to sail model boats by remote control and usually drive down to Melbourne once a month to do this. I have kept fish in the past but at this stage have none.

Since I have been breeding black worms for over 20 years now, I thought I may be able to pass on some of the knowledge I have gained over that period.

Cheers, Mal

Welcome Mal. You must be the Mal from Aussie Blackworms. I love the freeze dried product. Such a relief when it first came out and I found my fussy fish would eat it. Would love to hear your thoughts on the best way to keeps serve of blackworms clean and alive until the fish can eat them all. Mine never do so well and I usually end up chucking them out after a few days. I've tried various methods eg in a bucket under a dripping tap (haven't done that in a while), very little water kept in the fridge, rinsing every day, etc. Some people here have had success keeping a culture going but I haven't tried it yet.

Yes love your freeze dried stuff too! You know people have the weridest ideas when it comes to breeding blackworms. A sales assistant at one of the very well known aquariums once told me that blackworms can't be cultured they're caught from the "wild".

I'm so glad we now have an expert on this forum!