My cherry shrimp tank

zhong89

I have recently started a cherry shrimp tank and I have a lot of cherries, for some reason this time around all my shrimps are breeding. I have about 4 or 5 berried females at any given time.

I feed mine sweet potato, zucchini, carrots and algae wafer (not at one time obviously). I think I overfed my colony a little but every time I fed them there's just no more food in the tank and they look at me with those little eyes that says "fed me"...lol

I have a lot of java moss, java fern and a large crypt. The light is on 14 hours a day all the plants are doing well and I even put in moss from a another tank for the shrimps to clean and eat.

cf9594bc.jpg

What do you think?

The tank is a aqua one all in one tank, not using the filter that came with it coz it has too strong a current according to the box it's 22L.

Using a air driven sponge filter, not using fertiliser.

Change about 20% water once a week or a once a fortnight.

I do not do siphoning coz I tend to suck in baby shrimps. This is a shrimp only tank, no fishes, although there's a few snails in it.

sponge filters are great! They provide food for the fry, great biological filteration (apparently the flow is just right to let the bacteria use the ammonia and nitrite as food) and the best thing is it agitate the water surface so maximum amount of oxygen is dissolved into the tank.

• 2 weeks later...

This is me being lazy and feeding my shrimp... I use java moss from other tanks that's covered in algae and other debris and simply put them into the shrimp tank for the shrimp to eat. It seems that the shrimp likes it better than any food I've given it.

Watch them eat! This photo was taken 10 minutes after I put the moss in...

DSCN0258.jpg

Edited by Joan

A few of the cherry females are really red and I don't have substrate for any of my tank. I found substrate hard to clean and reduces my tank capacity... lol. I would say my cherries are like any other ones. Most of my cherry females are quite red and males are not really red.

• 1 month later...

I have a question for other shrimp keepers can you actually underfed a shrimp tank? I usually throw in about 10 small mini algae pellets a day for my shrimps but today I was feeding my bristlenoses sweet potato and I thought I'll throw a slice of sweet potato in my shrimp tank. And 5 minutes into throwing the most of the shrimps went on the slice and has being eating it for the last few hours. A really thick slice sweet potato has now got holes all over in it. It looks like I haven't being feeding my colony enough considering they've eaten more in the last few hours than I feed in 3 days. It may due to the fact that my shrimp colony has increased dramatically over the last few weeks and I haven't increased feeding.

So my question is can I actually under feed a shrimp tank? My understanding is that the size of my population depend on the amount of food I feed and it doesn't get bigger than that.

Comments? experiences?

90943e90.jpg

See this photo? There's shrimp on both side of the sweet potato slice and the slice is about 5cm in diameter and about 5mm thick!

They eat biofilms ect so you can't really underfeed them, they self regulate in terms of feeding and colony size, babies just don't survive as well. Some breeders give them a big feed once a week or so depending on numbers. Baby spinach and mulberry leaves are other good choices.

lol that's what I thought! They've completed eaten a thick slice of sweet potato and still wants more. As an experiment I throw in two mini algae wafers and they're eating it like there's no tomorrow!

I guess this is really their way of saying you've kept way too many in this tank.

• 1 month later...