Where did they come from?

Fletch

I thought you got plants around the same time I did (just before, i think), so that would narrow it down to 5 -6 months.

Is there any chance that they were so small and well hidden you just didn't notice them before now? Last time I checked, snail eggs weren't in the ingredients of any fish food I've seen... :blink:

THey look a little bit like a Malaysian Trumpet Snail, but I don't think the shell is elongated enough to be that. Anyone have a suggestion as to which type?

Actually, I have a single ramshorn snail show up in the sorority tank with no new additions for about 6 months...

Yea, your right. Last weed I got of Matt but that was a about the same time. Never noticed them before.

I was more thinking that the snail eggs have been processed when the flakes were made and somehow survived. How long can snail eggs last before they hatch? Can they survive long periods dry?

More out of curiosity than anything else. Might be a good excuse for a pair of clown loaches. :-)

I've never had any luck with clown loaches. I tried a few times over the years when I had a community tank, but was never able to keep them more than a couple of weeks...

I'm surprised the bettas haven't tried picking them off. Then again... I guess that might be the reason there are only 2...

I'd be asking Matt what kind of snails he has...

cant see pic at work but if the shell is eggshaped and not pointy most likely a common pond snail

if you have had plants they most likely had snail eggs on them and have taken there time to grow

if they are pointy and malasian trumpet snail if you have a substrate they generally hide in that and mostly come out at night they are also a live bearer wich would mean they would have been on the plants when you received them or could have come in with second hand substrate if you have used or had any, they can survive for quite a long time burrowed on moist gravel

Ray

Gotten any live food lately? Sometimes snails will come in with blackworm.

I don't like clownloaches for snail duty. Pakistani/yoyo loach do a far better job IME. I buy them small and return when they start getting big and having an attitude.

No live food other than bbs I hatch.

I tried the Pakistani loach and they didn't do the trick. Two small clown loaches and they cleaned em up pretty quick. Same here, once job done, took em back to the shop.

Funny how different everyone's experiences can vary, even when we are comparing the same fish. :-)

I would say Ray may be right. They could have been buried in the substrate from my last lot. It was a long time ago though so not sure if they are the same.

No harm done. :-). Thanks for your thoughts.

They are MTS, I add them to all my tanks, when you dipped your plants they should have died though :confused: They are great for the substrate, I never see mine, they are nocturnal. I don't think loaches are much help, they have very hard shells. I got some fish I beleive eat the ones that come out during the day, I'll try find the name for you.

I have hundreds and I never see them, I go in late at night and the glass is covered! They propably have been hiding in your tank, did you spot them just when the light came on?

You usually don't see them at all Paul until they get big. They can reproduce asexually too, so even if you only have one.... :D

Seeing them climbing the glass to the surface like that can be a sign of water issues and/or oxygenation problems, might be good to check things over.

I like them personally, very good for keeping your substrate turned over. I have some finally in my shrimp tank, once they breed a bit I'm going to distribute them through the rest of the NPT's.

Loaches will eat them or mine do but I the substrate is to deep they will not get them all.

I managed to wipe mine out I think as have not seen any for some time, Overdosing some diy trace elements but cant confirm that it was that, that done it as it may have been a mix of things

They will get into your filter filter lines a real pain

A lot of planted guys like them as Matt seems too as they find them benificial to the substrate, personally if you cant see how many there is, it concerns me,

Heavy feeding will cause a population growth very quickly

go with a torch at night and see how bad things are

I think you will now have to learn to live with them

Ray