Uh oh :(

mandz

Well she could have a swim bladder infection. That's the usual culprit especially in bettas who seem almost intent on getting them.

What's her colour like? If she's really pale it's likely to be something more serious. I say this because swim bladder isn't usually life threatening.

It can cause problems getting to the surface though so if your water is quite deep you might want to lower it a bit.

The common consensus seems to point to this being a result of constipation. Do you feed your bettas shelled peas (this would be a good thing)?

Anyone else want to pop in with anything?

Nah I feed them fresh bloodworms.

She hasnt changed in colour. She was fine and then not so good.

Have put her in a small jar alone with only a little water. If I disturb her, she will go to the surface for some air.

Can I treat swimbladder or do I just leave her be?

That's odd - she's from one of my spawns that's never had any issues, tough as nails - and no sign of SBD previously??

Make sure she's still got constant temperature, so float her in the other heated tank... even if she's secluded.

Is she showing any lumps or bumps near the gillplates or head, or any cottony looking floaties near her face ?

What's the temp like in the tank? and have you got some test kids for the water?

Check Ammonia/Nitrate/Ph and Carbonate Hardness... Khz

She's come out of "the Beyonce Tank" so i'd be surprised if it were an infection of sorts - as she's been in with 12 other healthy happy fish, showing no signs of nothin!

yikes (20 questions)

-Ness

Is her water heated? sorry I have to ask, because you said you keep them in cold water normally unless spawning, if this was one of ness's fish and it went from her heated tanks all its life into non heated or room temp tanks especially with the cold weather we are having thats gonna be a bit of a shock.

@melbournebetta From what I understand swim bladder problems are a symptom really, there can be several causes one of which, specifically in bettas, is constipation Ofcourse there's the possibility of an internal infection which is never nice. I recal something to do with peas in case it's constipation related (haven't kept bettas in a long time). Sometimes these things get better on their own, sometimes they need some help and sometimes they also never get rid of it. I hope it's the former but in case it's not treatment for swim bladder issues in bettas isn't my specialty so if anyone else has any specific input, please?

She doesn't look any different Ness

I put her in with a super delta I got from Jarrod, he had a go at her, but then seemed ok. I walked away for 15 mins, to come back and find her upside down on the bottom of the tank.

She is now in a container in the 4ft tank with the lil oscars, and seems to be up the right way atm

Black worm / Mandz

I'm thinking it might have been over-feeding, this can affect the swim bladder temporarily- by placing pressure on the gas-filled sac that is the swim bladder (regulating buoyancy)

Is this a possibility....?

You can feed a fresh/frozen pea very finely chopped, I've done it a few times - but there are arguments that it's more counter-productive than beneficial.

Lay off the food for a few days - interested to hear how she's goin.

-Ness

I hope she is recovering well.

I went to feed my fish today and found a healthy as a horse yesterday HMPK upside down on the bottom, dead as a door nail today.

I noticed he had some minor pineconing, so I'm guessing the poor thing died of dropsy, although I NEVER EVER EVER noticed anything wrong with him the day before, or the last MONTH before that to be honest! It just seemed...sudden.

I was quick to feed the rest of my fish some mashed up pea incase they got the same thing. It seems that some of my fish don't like their veges though......

I have one female that if I put to many black worm in she dosnt know when to stop she is the only one that dose it and sure enough every time she goes on her sideon the bottom for about a day some times two so I just ration her now

Cheers

Les

Thanks guys, I was worried sick when I saw her like this.

She is still in her own container and alive :) Has more energy and is only slightly sidewards, no more of this upside-down nonsense!

I haven't been feeding her, but will try her with the pea today