Fish Almost Disasters

Phil

Ok, with Jess's post about fish disasters, it made me think of the disasters that could of happened, but were very lucky. For example, i can think of 2 things, basically the same, but a year apart and different fish. 1. I had an aquarium on a table type thing where i was keeping my male green imbellis. I thought that since the level in the tank was lowish (bout 5cm from the top) we would be safe and he wouldnt jump.... Wrong! He jumped from his tank, i didnt actually see it, and i was going crazy seaching for him, looking everywhere to see if i could save him. Once i couldnt find him, i decided that he was probably dead and would look for the body later. So later that night, i went to move a conveniently placed bucket, a clear 50cm away from the tank with some water in it left over from a water change, and who do i find swimming happily around? My green imbellis!! He jumped so far! and i was so releived! Luckily the second time he jumped, later on, i heard the plonk so grabbed him strait away, but i think that was lucky! He now lives (still?) with Mouse. He had 2 lucky saves. 2. With my barracks, i also have some 30L storage containers on 2 shelves of that metal shelving, the containers are directly above/below eachother. So i put my green masked plakat in the top one, thinking he wont jump because he has a big tank now, who would jump with that? obviously a plakat would take the risk, or mabey the fish would rather die than have me take care of them? Anyway, i went down then next day for feeding and the like and who was missing? You guess it, the green plakat, he jumped. I was going crazy on the concrete looking for him, and couldnt see anything. So, i decided to continue feeding and when i got to the girls tank below (directly below) i saw this big chunky green fish.. my plakat! How the heck he jumped vertically and curved down and inwards at an angle to land in their tank i dont know, mabey they do have parachutes with controls? Mabey some fail, thats why they land on the floor? Ok, so this was amazing enough to me, so i catch him and stupidly put him back in his tank above with no lid. I come back the next day and he is gone again, and i find him in the girls tank, directly below him. I dont know how he did it! So he had 2 lucky saves aswell! They are the most major lucky things i think my fish have had, anyone else have any luck fish escapes or similar?

I still have that fellow.. and he still likes to jump for the ladies!! I fixed his problem though. He now lives in 2L jar thats INSIDE the ladies tank with the top of the jar butting firmly against the lid of the tank! He's very happy and can no longer access open airspace! No more failed parachute jumps for this boy ;)

• 2 weeks later...

Did it affect Justine in any way? I luckily went to check the fish the other day at the right time to save my neon marble hm female on the concrete, she jumped. Unfortunatly i had another jumper later that day that i was unable to save :blink:

Archived