Choosing next pair to continue line.....

Fletch

I like her. Nice smooth topline, nice even finnage. I like the rays in the dorsal are pretty much the same length. A couple of wonky looking rays in the anal fin, but I am guessing it is growout tank damage and nothing to worry about.

They both look great, Busman. I'm still an amateur at judging fish and I'm not really into crown tail, so I don't know very much about what to look for forms (webbing and stuffs).

Then again, when choosing which one to breed to continue the line, I think you'd need to consider on what you are trying to achieve. Colour wise and form wise. :)

Lol. I am no expert either. One thing I have learnt is when Shadoh and I stand in front of a tank/barracks, looking at fish (either at Fishchicks or either of our houses), we ALWAYS choose different fish as favorites......

My goals are to produce fish that I like, in the hope I can sell enough to pay for the next pair to breed. As long as the fish I produce are better quality than LFS fish, I have no problems. This is a great hobby that I love. I am blown away with the challenge and the actual breeding and raising the fry. Not so interested in"perfection" as beauty is different for everyone.

(:

I really like the female, she's got a tidy body shape - overal balance is a tiny bit off, her anal is a spot long, but wonder if that's as much a concern with the CT form?

(I assume it's the same as the HM overall form)

So if you were aiming for a balanced oval, I'd be looking for a male with a balanced anal fin and strong D shaped caudal.

Might be worth identifying what your goals are with the next spawn - what you want to build on - improve etc.

Only some minor faults on her, slightly wonky rays in the anal, and slight rounded caudal edges....

These are totally nit-picking points, she's nice in my opinion.

The male is sweet, but I like him less than her... he's got a nice top line, less of that "dip" than I think the parents demonstrated (great improvement)

His Caudal is where i'd say his weakness is, not a full spread HM and if he did go to full, he's got quite a bit more rounded edges, which lets down the overall balance - I do like him tho.

They'll make lovely babies - I had to stretch the critical eye... sounded like you were after an in depth response!

This is the perfect position to identify your exact CT goals - line breeding is fun, but if there's a little golden gentleman out there that will improve your odds for the goals - go git him!

Lovin' the open dialogue with the candidates for the spawn tank!

-microscopicNess

Thanks Ness. The male does stretch more than the photos show, very hard to get a photo of it at full stretch, he won't stay still. First time he has seen a girl so he is very excited.

:-).

I am sure I can get some more photos of him soon.

Btw.......Anyone know of a nice female to go with this spawns father?????? Definitely want to spawn him again.

Thats a good idea Father to daughter that would give him a bit more time to grow and for you to see how he improves. If I remember Dad wasnt to hard on her Mum so she shouldnt get to damaged but that matting will definatly strengthen the traits both good and bad so you cant keep the succesess, I realy liked the spawn she was from and I can only see them improving if this track is taken

Cheers

les

Your right Les. It took awhile for them to spawn but nil damage was done. My only concern is the size difference. Will keep the above pair for each other and am trying a different female with dad. Fingers crossed.