Black Orchid Pair.

Fletch

Your wish is my command.

da8a3a26.jpg

She looks washed out here. In spawn tank with male. Just introduce. Will get a better one. Can't use other photo, just realized I don't have permission. Can see her form here though.

I have had these guys a little while now........that's the dirty part. Sorry.

Am very excited about the spawn, mainly to compare growth rates with previous spawns. If I get great results again, then will try and figure out why. Our water is a different supply to that of Jarrods and Matts but it couldn't be that much different. Guess I will just have to wait and see..................nope, haven't hatched yet. Lol.

Patience is not my strong point.

Do it mate.......I would. Lol. I did.

Lovely pair, but they are hardly a dirty little secret.

Busman Paul, you have told us in the past about them, I remember (have excellent memory). Was wondering this morning when the spawn log will pop up actually.

GEE, Ness & Jarrod, can't believe you forgot. :confused: How could you forget these beauties?

Awh Sarah,

I felt I'd seen this orchid male before (Bus, was it the one on the weebly site i made?)

can't remember whos it was.

ANYHOO I even stalked Bus's content and couldn't find ANY pics of this - detective Sarah where was the mention?

(I must'v missed it)

I'm ready for a spawn log now Bus, you start that thread and I'll start the dirty little secret thread.

-Ness

Yes Ness. That's him.

Sarah, have NEVER admitted to these guys. May have mentioned my intention but never said I had them. Matt saw them a while ago when he came around. Maybe that's where??????

Pretty sure you said on here about them... I think Matt did tell me they were here. Rubbed it in on how awesome your fish are, in Brisbane. <_< He also told me about your cat licking his feet. :giggle: Highlight of his day or something along those lines I believe. :P

What colour irids do they have? I told you yesterday they are made from marble bettas but the original black orchids wern't. There is an article on betty splendens about it here :) http://bettysplendens.com/articles/page.imp?articleid=1040

Henry Yin first coined the name Black Orchid to describe his particular development of dark bicolor Crowntail, which was (so I've been told) NOT a marble-based black but a melano type with excessive steel iridescence, particularly in the fins. The name has since been applied to any fish of similar coloration in a multitude of forms, from HM to Plakat, but these almost always come from marble. Essentially, the Black Orchid betta is a dark black color with streaks of steel blue in the fins, often forming almost a butterfly pattern. The iridescence is not always limited to the fins, and many Black Orchids also develop red wash (another indicator of the marble gene messing with this line). Increasing the red wash has given a new type of 'black' - the so-called 'Black Devil', which is a marble type black with red in the fins instead of iridescence. They do not breed true, and the production of the Black Devil betta seems to be very much the luck of the draw. The Black Ice betta is also derived from marble, and can appear randomly in marble spawns. It is a black fish which varies in intensity and possesses generous iridescence in the body and the fins. The iridescence in the Black Ice fish can be either steel, royal, or green. Selective breeding has increased the percentage of Black Ice offspring from Black Ice pairings, but it still does not breed true.