Guppy Pics

Fish Tails

Hi, Thought I might introduce you to a few of my family. I have moggy guppies which I think are beautiful and have recently bought some guppies from someone thought I might try and breed them but we shall see, it is a steep learning curve that's for sure!

I still need to set up some breeding tanks any suggestions on size of tank for a trio of guppies and also for fry grow out tanks?

P1280132.jpg

P1280130.jpg

P1280129.jpg

P1280226.jpg

P1280228.jpg

Doen't look like you'll need to work hard at geting the guppys to breed.... you've got one very fat (pregnant) girl in that first pic. Give her som time and she'll pop out a few fry for you. It's that easy! great fish and good work getting pics of them - they are notoriously difficult to get a decent pic of!

Matt, do you think 2 tanks is enough if you are trying to breed specific guppies ie: blue guppy with a well blue guppy! lol And shouldn't I separate the male and females which would require at least two tanks or do I just put a divider up in the 2 foot tank and take out a male and female to breed and place in another tank which already is up to

3 or 4 tanks including the fry tank?

Thanks Paul, you are right they seem to know what to do on their own! I have approx 100 guppies now from my 5 females and that is not including the second wave of birthings. I was hoping to make it not so much which guppy they might get lucky with and focusing more on say a particular colour. I have found in my last err batch that my lyretail guppy must have actually scored as the colour is starting to come out on one of the babies with similar sort of markings and lilac background, not bad looking I thought.

As to the pics, I won't tell you how many I took to get these ones! You are right they are not ones to stay still for long but then again that is why I like them, they are colourful, energetic and amusing to watch.

Thanks for the suggestions guys.

P1280230.jpg

My 4ft bargain tank off ebay, cost me the princely sum of $46 and came with stand, canister filter, air pump, heater and light. admittedly it did need some tlc ie the stand needed a good grind back and repainting I thought the white looked better than the black rusted look but other than that and a bit of a spruce up on the tank everything works, just needed a good scrubbing. I put all my moggy baby guppies in the tank along with some cherry shrimp and a couple of half beaks. They are thriving and enjoying the xtra space.

Edited by Fish Tails

Lovely photos, must take some photos of my boys (if I can convince the buggers to at least move slowly for a second :blink: )can't give advice on breeding as mine were all just left to their own devices in the community tank!! Still...ended up with some very speccy looking males....guess the guppy ladies weren't the only ones to get lucky :lol: NannaJo B)

I feel like a proud mama! lol

Pyrefly the fourth picture is of my new guppy purchased from someone, he is a Medusa Swallowtail and his lovely lady is in the family way. He has a beautiful tail although you can't see the swallowtail shape like you can on the female.

I would love to see your baby pics Flame Dragon they sound like they are gorgeous boys. I will try and get a pic or pics of my lyretail cross guppies they look quite nice.

Yes snakeskins are one of my favourites too especially the metallic ones. I recently bought 5 of them, a couple of green snakeskins, a yellow snakeskin, a orange snakeskin and an albino looking snakeskin. Hoping to match them to my existing guppies and have some good looking babies.

I guess with the breeding tanks I will do some more research and see what works for others.

It doesn't matter how many tanks you have, you're always going to need more! But this isn't a bad thing, just a case of getting the balance, especially for guppies.

A good friend seperates his males from the girls then selectively adds the male(s) he wants to the girls tank or a seperate tank for a few days, then wait and see what appears from the batch. He's good at sexing fry when still very young , me I'm still getting my eye at this stage for sexing at the 2 week mark, it can be done, just takes time and patience.

I go for the other option, keeping the strains I want to keep in their seperate tanks, I then move any fry that appear or seperate the pregnant girls into a seperate tank for their drop and then raising the fry. Just takes time and patience but I'm finally getting some good results on both our blue grass and the metallic pinks. First new pink male coming up an absolute gorgeous colour which we've been after for some time, plus another drop of fry which have just gone into the same tank as the galaxy rasboras. Only thing I've noticed is some strains are very very slow growing, the albinos especially.

I picked up a set up yesterday, it has a 4 ft tank on top shelf, and the other two shelves have 2 x 2 footers making a total of 5. I was thinking of dviding the tanks for putting the trios or pairs. Keep a couple of the tanks for fry grow outs. A little bit of work to do setting up the tanks and hopefully I can get started.

Hmm KiwiD I have some albino swallowtails I was hoping to breed, unfortunately the male didn't survive, one of the females dropped 5 fry but 1 has now died (it had a short pointy tail) in fact another two of them also have the short pointy tail (inbreeding?) I don't think they will survive and another one has normal eyes instead of the red eyes. Possibly one might be allright but no idea if it is male of female, it is only a week old and I am definitely a novice.

So KiwiD do you remove your females from the tank once they are pregnant? Do you keep your males in one tank and your females in another tank and then choose which ones you want to put together? Love the sound of your metallic pink guppies any chance of pics? Thanks for your input as you can see I am on a steep learning curve.

• 3 months later...