My Koi Experience Today

Mango4Jade

Recently I attended the Annual Meeting of the Australian Koi Association in Bankstown and I must say, a very fun and exciting nice. I'm in the process of joining it, and might be in the Web Committee for their Web Site and a new forum. The current web master, also quite a good bloke to talk to, invited me to his place today and I witnessed some of the greatess Show Quality Koi in Australia. One of his Koi won the 1994 Grand Champion of the AKA show. That Koi along with a male gave a big spawn of about 1million eggs. I was happen to be given about 100 or so fry and my friend got about 400 or so since he has large room and ponds. I was so drooling around his ponds and his fish. Best I've seen in Australia! Anyways, now im careing for Baby Koi, im in need of food cultures. I setting up BBS cultures now, and hopefully I can feed them soon, Im also using powdered food for now and I might be getting a culture of Daphnia of JL. Guess I should get a pack of frozen bbs tomorrow from my lfs since it better than nothing. Anyways, nice to share my wonderful experience with you guys :) Mango :blush:

Geez dude, you must have been a spruker in a past life :lol: Stick a link in the library. Any piccies of your mate's ponds? I'd love to see ;) I'm thinking of doing a smallish pond in my backyard, but it wouldn't be able to fit koi unfortunately :lol: would love to have a looksee at other people's ponds though! Any pics of the fry? how small are they?

Calla, The Koi fry are less than a week old, so they are quite tiny. Most are about 12mm but still got some at about 8mm. The fry are yellowish because they have been munching on bbs :(( The fry outcome should be 90% Platnium Ogon (a.k.a Platnium White) and only 10% Yamabuki Ogon (a.k.a Yellow Gold). Since Ogons (metallic pure colours) are my favourite, I wouldnt mind a pond full of them :(

The Father is a similar looking Platnium Ogon:

Posted Image

And the G/Champ Mother a similar looking and much bigger (21 years old and about 80cm):

Posted Image

The fry are feeding mostly of live newly hatched bbs and the smaller fry on powder foods. When live bbs isnt being served they get the frozen bbs :D But, they preferr the live bbs :rant:

In a few days time of hardcore feeding, they should atleast double its size. Hopefully I dont have to cull too many :D

Time for some pics.

Close-up of a fry...

Posted Image

A bunch of fry

Posted Image

More...?

Posted Image

Mango :)

Wish we could have koi here in Vic.. They're one of the friendliest fish around and the ones that my uncle has in Malaysia actually come up for a pat. Are you looking into the marbled kois? I love the ones with lovely orange and black through a white body... *sigh* Nice Samoyeds there too :rant:

Archived