plant ID please

paul

I was driving past a pond, decided to stop, and found that the pond was full of lillies, duck weed and this plant. I know I've seen it before, but have no idea what it is and how it gets used. Is it a noxious weed, or a useful tank plant? Can I use it in my betta tank come spawn time if I find a suitable female? Do I need to prepare this plant in any way seeing as I plucked it out of a roadside waterway just out of Bankstown Sydney?

IMG_1520.jpg

Looks like frog bit to me too. I have a piece floating in all my jars, the juvies love to blow nests under it. Also got it in my spawn tank. That is the reason I had problems removing the dragon female. The male had built little nests under random clumps of plant :D

Are the leaves thick and a little spongy looking underneath?

It looks like salvinia, a noxius weed. Does it have hairy hydrophobic leaves? The new leaves grow sort of different to. Frogbit is a great plant IMO. I think it is the only large floater we are aloud to keep.

After looking at it some more it is definatly not frog bit. and most likely salvina: http://www.google.com.au/imgres?imgurl=http://www.agric.wa.gov.au/objtwr/imported_images/decplants/salvinia.gif&imgrefurl=http://agspsrv95.agric.wa.gov.au/dps/version02/01_plantview.asp%3Fpage%3D7%26contentID%3D57%26&usg=__O7jB2Cb_Dmra7npYZ4KSD2CW8hg=&h=415&w=640&sz=132&hl=en&start=0&zoom=1&tbnid=iWLVE5vYF8TRbM:&tbnh=155&tbnw=207&ei=KOFgTcaTEIffceLx_dIJ&prev=/images%3Fq%3Dsalvinia%26um%3D1%26hl%3Den%26sa%3DN%26rlz%3D1T4ADFA_enAU342AU342%26biw%3D1659%26bih%3D810%26tbs%3Disch:1&um=1&itbs=1&iact=rc&dur=125&oei=KOFgTcaTEIffceLx_dIJ&page=1&ndsp=31&ved=1t:429,r:0,s:0&tx=113&ty=99

Edited by Matt_95

Thanks Matt,

I found it earlier too. Definitely salvinia.

Does it matter what type of salvinia - molesta, cucullata or natans??? Seems NSW has only molesta categorised as a noxious weed. How can I tell the difference?

Does the fact that it's a weed matter if used in a tank, and if discarded, done so appropriately with no chance of hitting a waterway?

If I choose to keep it, how do I clean/prepare it for the tank?

I'm not sore but it is better to be safe than sorry. I've seen this plant chocke reivers.

It doesn't matter how careful you are or where you keep it you have it and they will fine you. From memory it is like $200, 000 or something. You could buy like a ton of frogbit for that. Frogbit gets longer roots to and I think it would be better.

Make up a bath of condies crystals so it is light purple and soak it for I think 5 minutes.

Frogbit is like $5 for a thai container full and if you put it in a bucket outside with some dirt or fertiliser it will spread like crazy. I'm sure someone near you has some. Some people even give it away :D