Lighting options for a 3 ft tank

I'm considering starting 3 ft community tank with a great deal of plants, I'm getting a little sick of keeping only low lights plants such as Anubias, java fern and moss, water sprite and some crypts. From all the lights I'm come across whether in aquariums, or pet shops or other sources I found those to be the best value and adequate to my needs.

But there's two I couldn't quite decide between. There's only a $10 difference in price between them so it's not a big issue. But I didn't want to encourage algae, and a higher power bill (if I don't need the extra power). So experienced plant keepers please let me know which ones is better.

Light no1: 2 tubes

http://www.guppysaquariumproducts.com.au/florescent-light-fittings-and-accessories/t5-florescent-light-fittings-supreme-aqua/3ft-double-t5-39w-high-output-aquarium-light/prod_15.html

Light no2: 3 tubes

http://www.guppysaquariumproducts.com.au/florescent-light-fittings-and-accessories/t5-florescent-light-fittings-supreme-aqua/t5-aquarium-overhead-lighting-3x39w-hi-output-900-long/prod_261.html

Also has anyone bought from guppy's aquarium? I know you can't really name is criticize on this forum, so if you have strong opinions please message me.

I have the twin tube version you mention but in the 2ft size .... plenty of light output for the 2 x 12" x 12" tank I have it over and plants grow well under the light....

It's the depth of your tank that you need to consider though - the deeper the water the less light penetrates - 2 watts per US gallon is a reasonable rule of thumb - ie the 2 tube fixture would be good for a 3ft tank 12" - 15" and the 3 tube version would be ok for a tank at 18" depth.... if you are growing high light plants though you might need to consider the 4 tube version when they get some in stock.... The 3tube and 4 tube versions have 2 switches so you can either run 1, 2 or 3 tubes with the 3 tube version or 2 or 4 tubes for the 4 tube version...

I've bought from Guppy's before and never had any problems with delivery or the products - even had a 4ft twin tube T5 light arrive without any breakages to tubes....

Edited by fishbites

@ Joan - thanks for the question was going to ask the same myself as my 3ft at the moment has the lid of another smaller tank (inbuilt lights) just sitting on the glass.....not ideal!!

@ fishbites - thanks for the reply I also looked at those same lights!!

Thanks to both of you I know now which way to go :bighug: Jo

If you want a very basic 3ft light (not made for aquariums but works well), Bunnings have a 3ft light made by Arlec I think - about $33 - aluminium case with a plastic cover over the tube - good enough for basic lighting and will grow mosses and low light plants easily....

I'm with Wayne. Personally I would go with the highest light you can afford, if you find you have issues with algae, remove a tube or reduce the time that your running them. I'm personally going for an 8 tube unit and only planning on running 4 or 5 because i don't know if i might want more in the future, it's only $20 difference between a 4 and 8 tube unit.

You might find that you get the plant bug and I personally have been going through the frustration of trying to grow plants in not enough light because i started planting and got addicted, now completely ripping apart my tank, replacing the substrate and re-buying hundreds of $$ of gear that i bought 6 months ago.

@ volvodriver - bugger! :alright: plants are addictive, Ilove the look of them in my tanks, my fish love them and I have made exactly the same mistake as you. Am not looking forward to another pull down but I have a nasty feeling it may be on the cards!! I think the phrase "Pooh, bum, knickers!!" about covers it :lol: Jo

you could go about growing aquarium plants using the 'dry-start' method?

but it does requires a bit of discipline as it requires you to wait for the plant(s to carpet out before adding water and fishies to the tank

Edited by holycow

Yay pictures when u start it ! ive been trying to get my big tank looking good T_T but it doesnt have enough plants yet but im getting some more soon yay :D any idea what you will do for substrate? i tried a layer of soil and then a layet of Eco complete but IT FAILLED HORRIBLY !! i get huge pockets of air that escape from the soil and all the eco complete got sifted underneath it i wouldnt recommend doing that. Now it just looks like poo soil intead of nice gravel.

lol, haven't decided on that yet. What I'm planning now is since I'm a complete beginning I'm going to plant all the plants in plastic cups with a little bit of laterite and gravel or on driftwood. That way if I decide to move them they won't be damaged in anyway... I'm going to use moss or place the cups in between driftwood to cover it. But this is all in theory, don't know how it will look when I get it to work.

So far I've got some amazon swords, crypts, java moss and java fern (both broad leaf and the needle leaf type), lots of anubias (nana and coffeefolia), watersprite, amazon frogbits and got a pot of hair grass too! Don't know how it's going to look altogether but right now I'm too excited about my new job I'm starting on monday

you can use a number of plants with the dry-start method including HC (dwarf baby tears), eleocharis (hair grass), anubias, echinodorus (swords) and mosses.

you want to separate the plants/plantlets before planting, or in the case of mosses and anubias, attach them to something, and then plant into the substrate. then you want to saturate the substrate with water (dechlorinated) and fertilizer (look to fertilizing instructions; too much fertilizer equates to reverse osmosis or root-burn), but don't submerge your plants. substrates like aqua soil and ada soil already have HEAPS of fertilizer/ammonia added and don't require more fertilizer. then to keep the moisture within your tank, seal the tank with glad wrap. then apply light source for about 8-10 hours/day.

spray a fine mist into the tank every day or so in order to maintain the high humidity within the tank.

the dry-start method should see your plants spread quite quickly within your tank. but it does take about a month to see the full benefits, and you must exercise restraint and avoid the temptation to flood the tank with water. so by the time you flood the tank, the soil should have already been colonised by ammonia-using bacteria colonies, so your tank will have already been 'cycled'. when you eventually flood the tank remember to used dechlorinated water! also, after flooding, remember to flush the substrate to remove excess nutrients/fertilizer, otherwise you may end up with an algae bloom.

after flooding, you will need to add excel or C02 in order to acclimatise your plant to the sudden change in gas-exchange; that is, your plants will go from a state of almost unrestricted access to C02 to a restricted one. failure to do so will see your plants 'melting'. you can gradually reduce the amount of C02 you inject into your tank.