Potting java fern

Wondering how you pot java fern? I have a few I got on ebay, want to pot one in a spare terrecotta pot that I took an anubia bought from LFS out of. I want to pot it as want to put it in my spawn tank. I don't know if they can be potted long term? How are they potted anyway? I don't know how I'd get one to stay in the pot!

I had a snoop around online, something I read said that when you buy them potted you should take them out of the pot as they don't like it. They don't like being planted in gravel either and need to be attached to something rough like a rock or drift wood.

Advice much appreciated :)

You can weight the rhizome down by tying onto a small stone (only if you don't have digging fish) and after a while the roots will go into the gravel and anchor it... but the rhizome must remain above the gravel or it tends to rot.... They look great tied onto feature rocks or driftwood though and this way can easily be moved when you're cleaning the tank...

for the spawn tank... I'd find a small piece of flat slate and tie it onto that.... won't need a large piece to weight the fern down and it will look good and easy to move etc....

Thanks everyone :)

I'm not sure I have any slate... doesn't the surface need to be rough anyway?

Shadow I'm liking the pot/hiding place idea :D I do already have one of those pots with front and back opening for hiding, but they can never have too many hiding spots :D again though, no rough surface???

*edit* actually I've found a piece of semi rough/semi flat rock that I'll use. I have so many bits and bobs flying around that have come with my now... err 5 tanks two of which are empty :blush: lol and am forgetting what I have! :P

With the cleaning issue for rough surfaces, heres an idea, why not use a toothbrush?

Edited by fishish