Glass tanks

Em

Mods, I'm not sure if this is in the right section, if not move it to where it belongs (PC related stress lately) I'm pricing glass fish tanks down here and the best prices I can get are around $40 for a 15 inch tank and about $50 for an 18 inch. I believe that because I'm 'in the country' that they're charging a lot more for these tanks than city prices. So, how much do you pay for new 15", 18" & 2 foot tanks from the LFS, LPS or fish related store? Or how much for good condition tanks in these sizes? Need more spawning and grow-out tanks :)

The 15'' and 18'' size is what I buy mostly Em. The cheapest I've found them is $24 for the 15'' and $30 for the 18'' with lids, the average being $30 and $36, $50 for two footers. Some of the shops get carried away and want $10 to $20 more for them which is a straight out ripoff. I found the best thing to do when I'm travelling to fish shops is ask for price on a few of them, but only at the shops that have a decent price anyway. I have been getting lucky at one shop whose owner wants to get rid of a range of front round-corner tanks, the type with two lids and plastic stays on the top. 9'' and 12'' for $10 and 18'' for $15. I forgot to say this is in the county area here, they seem a bit dearer in the city where I've seen the more rediculous prices.

Boronia aquarium sell 15 inch tanks for $19, which would blow out to 20 something with lid. They generally have the cheapest new tanks tho. I've tried bandying their prices about at closer shops and they just say they can't compete with Boronia. The Warehouse have one foot and corner tanks for about $15 with lids. Mostly I buy stuff second hand from Boronia's classified section tho.

Im a fan of getting secondhand tanks, especially on ebay, some great deals on there, i sure cant really afford to buy new ones at the prices they are now. Take a look in the Trading post also, occasionaly there are people that make new tanks from secondhand glass (like office buildings windows etc) and they are usually fair prices. The last 2ft tank i bought, was an extra tall one aswell cost me $40, but that shop has new owners and their prices have jumped really high.

Put a wanted to buy in the local papers. It is amazing when you start talking to people how many have an old fish tank sitting empty in the shed. I have 15 tanks in various sizes from 12" to 6 foot and I have only bought one new and that is the barracks I had made. The rest were free or really cheap. Just ask people.

Prices vary a heck of a lot around here, depending on where and what product you buy. Standard 2ft tanks are usually $35 - $40 with lids. An 18 inch with lid costs nearly the same. 15 inch locally-made jobbies with lid are available for around $26.

Archived