breeding bristlenose

zhong89

I have decided to try and breed my beautiful pair of albino bristlenoses from Jo. They're in a two feet tank with a breeding colony of endlers, 6 baby peppermint bristlenoses and another pair of albino bristlenoses. Today, I bought a large specially made cave for them and the male went to investigate the cave at once. But as soon as I turned on the light, he's went back into hiding under the large sponge filter again. Well, the thing is this is my first time trying to breed them and any advice and tips will be welcomed and cherished.

Cheers

In such a small tank... make sure you have great filtration and cleaning as BN's are big producers of 'crap' :)

BN's are best if you have a trio with 1M and 2F - another male in the tank can cause fighting to occur which will put an end to breeding.... generally, I would put only one pair or trio in such a tank... leave the endlers as they won't annoy the BN's at all.... BN's don't like bright lights so just room lights are fine for them most of the time.... feed them up on blood worms, fresh zuchinni or good quality spirulina disks to get them in the mood for breeding....

Ok, will be moving the fishes around soon... and thinking about getting another tank.

I just realised I'm the worst breeder ever. In the common bristlenose breeding tank, the largest male has started staying in the cave and not going far to find food and such. He will chase away anyone who gets close. He's being acting all manly for the last 2 days :flex: After a large water change he has finally coaxed a female to be interested in his little cave, the female was at the entrance and was thinking about going in. I without thinking dropped in some food, the female left him immediately and went after the food instead! I could almost see his little heart break when it happened! He's gave me that "I thought you want me to breed, did you change your mind" look. I felt so bad, and throw in one extra shrimp pellet for him to eat. I really do do some stupid things sometimes...

Joan, it's all part of the learning experience,

We have all done silly things in the fish room.

For me it's the only way to learntongue.gif

WD40 got it's name from the amount of times it took to get it right,

39 failures.

Some people give up when they get things wrong and others learn form itlaugh.gif

You BNs will forgive yousmile.gif

How do I know the bristlenoses has breed? The cave I bought is quite long and I can't see into it. I did a little head count today; I only found 3/5 fishes that I have in the tank. I poked my head around the tank and couldn't find the other two. But couple of hours later I found all of them. So I concluded they might be breeding in the cave. But the thing is... it wasn't the largest female. It was the middle one or the small one, I couldn't tell which. If they breed it's definately not the largest one, since she's still very fat. I couldn't shine a torch in the cave can I? will that spook the male out?

Also I've being feeding my bristlenoses shrimp pellets and found that they don't eat nearly as much zucchini as they used to. I put around 3 or 4 pellets a day for 5 large bristlenoses and one or two slices of zucchini (I used to put in around 10 zucchini slices before). Is protein for filling than vegetables?

The Bristlenose's will work out who can lay in the log.. .some males will allow 2 or 3 females to lay eggs... others will only allow one.... some males will kick out some eggs (which can be hatched in an egg tumbler)....

Shining a torch into the bristlenose's log won't scare him out... even a team of wild seahorses won't make him leave the log!!!! If you shine a torch up the log and see some orange caviar then you have eggs... if you see tiny wagging tails you have babies!!! The male will often try to cover the eggs to protect them with his body if you shine a torch into the log so you may not see the eggs at first.... leave him settle and try again later.... if you see the male with his head in the log and he is fanning his fins a lot that is a pretty good sign he is fanning fresh water up the log and over some eggs....

All the best!!

Feed him up on some blood worms or something nice... keep the tank in low light and just let them get on with things themselves.... as soon as a girl is ready and he has his log cleaned and ready they will breed for you :) Once they start breeding some pairs will breed once a month....

I HAVE EGGS! I HAVE EGGS! I HAVE EGGS!!!! My common bristlenose breed! but the albinos are still getting there, but I HAVE EGGS!!! it's a small bunch at the end of the cave! But the male is still eating and leaving the cave for little bits. I noticed coz the largest female got skinny! but HAHAHAHAHAHA I have eggs! :dance:

Edited by Joan

• 1 month later...

Congratulations. I have them breeding in community tank and getting them to stop is the trick! I find that a good pellet food is really enough but I like to spoil my fish so they get bs and bloodworms.

You can shine a tourch without spooking him. You can even pick up log and move it and he won't budge. Just remember that babies like to eat. Most people kill them by starvation in first two weeks. Lots of food and watch water quality.

I find that to get them motivated, big water change just before full moon works.

Good luck :-)

Ps. Betta fry much harder to raise. Ha ha