Mr Portokalos' new friends

paul

Mr Portokalos (see "my Big Fat Greek Wedding" - means orange) now has new friends. I thought they were gonners for sure.

I had been quoted the wrong tracking number for the courier service, so I was initially under the impression that someone else had accepted the delivery of my fish and I was never going to be able to get them back. Then I was given the right code, but that meant they were still in transit... 2 days and the nights are cold... but shortly after I got to work this morning I got an sms that the fish were home and alive.

Chrissy ("gold" <feminine> in Greek) is massive! has lovely form and is one fiesty mail order bride! She's from Patsaywan. I'm hoping for great things from her!

pUNK (is not Greek) He was a last minute buy from someone seeing as Chopper died. He's more laid back than Mr Portokalos was when I first got him. I think he needs a little time to settle in then start training and flaring.

I think Chrissy is into pUNK a little more than she is Mr Portokalos.. she's paying him a lot of attention and flaring at him constantly.

Open to suggestions re: who to try breed 1st. Hope you like my fish.

pUNK

IMG_0214.jpg

Chrissy

IMG_0233.jpg

Video (hope this works...might be a large file)

th_IMG_0238.jpg

Glad to hear your fish arrived well Paul, it is amazing what they can survive (my guys also had to get throught two icey winter mornings in Melbourne). I saw some 60 hour hour heat packs online the other day (might look into that).

I'm getting a nice yellow HM male from Patsaywan in the next shipment... I wonder if Chrissy is related (and a red crowntail pair as well). They look great, I really liked Chopper, it was such a shame about him after his tail was going so well,

Bec

I'm pretty chuffed with them too. Mr Portokalos looks small in comparison to Chrissy - she's probably just under twice his size in width/girth but same length... anyone know is this sort of size mismatch is an issue with spawning/wrapping?

Yan, I'm sure I'll be able to part with some offspring (staying positive for successful spawn - I sometimes try to be an optimist), so if you want one similar to Chrissy - would prob need to be a Chrissy x Mr Portokalos spawn (orange recessive to red and yellow from what I've read). Then again, I'm sure I'll be able to part with some offspring if I do a Chrissy x pUNK spawn (BTW what does heavy metal blended with punk yield????). I think I can hear you preparing new tanks from here already. LOL.

Bec, I didn't even think to ask someone about heat packs for delivery, but I was kicking myself when the delivery was delayed overnight - I was sure I was gunna get fish pop-sickles in the mail (deep down I'm pretty sure I'm a pessimist). Re Chopper, I really liked him too, he had amazing colour/metallic sheen, but as I said I'm pretty happy with this lot, so, hopefully I'll be able to successfully spawn them and have a very happy (yet somewhat incestuous) fishy fam! Full moon Tuesday!

I wouldn't worry too much about the size difference. My HMPK could barely wrap my Delta combtail when she was full of eggs but she released them anyway. Maybe you could up his feed to try and beef him up.

Well in that case, I wish you extra extra super duper luck and highly encourage a Mr Portokalos x Chrissy spawn! ;) LOL I didn't know orange was recessive to yellow. Are you sure that's correct? I might have to change a few plans if it is.. Hmm. Heavy metal x Punk? Sounds like Apocalyptica to me. :P New tanks?? What new tanks? I have no room left! I have to get rid of some fish or try to convince my parents to let me take over the storage shed. *lol*

An apocalyptica line huh? Sounds like a winner - but doesn't really bode well for their long term survival. *lol*

I can't remember where I read it, but overall I was under the impression that yellow(nR1) and orange(nR2) both non-red, where recessive to normal red. Also, nR2 was recessive to nR1...but on looking again I can't find this anywhere, so I might be wrong. I did find a report of a spawn on a forum where someone did yellow x orange and got mostly orange/cambodians... so I'm prob wrong!

Can't wait to find out!

Edited by paul

Hey Tracey, seems you may be right. I was keen to try a gold-dragon x orange spawn and put them both in the spawn tank. Seemed to be going well (pathetic bubble nest from Mr Portokalos, but a bubble nest none-the-less) so removed Chrissy from her chimney and a little flirting, a little chasing, and a bit of flaring and all seemed OK. Lights out last night. Mr Portokalos had torn dorsal and anal fins - not a scratch on Chrissy - even though when the lights are on he's being all Mr Macho-tough-guy, but he got his butt whipped in the dark!

So now its time to see if pUNK can get the funk on with Chrissy! He seemed to get her attention early on, and he managed quite a nice bubble nest in the barracks, hope he's got the mojo to seal the deal.

Hope the next post is a spawn log!

Why can't we make fish aphrodisiacs?? Or even breeding tutorials for stooooopid fish!

I might have to rename Chrissy to Prissy...or just plain Prude! I'm guessing she's the fussy one here. She smashed Mr Portokalos when the lights went out. So when I tried pUNK - the lights stayed on. He was the aggressor, but she wouldn't take the bait. She's lost some scales and just a few nips from her anal fin, but despite everything apparently going well... no rumpy pumpy! I don't get it.

Why can't my fish just figure out the breeding thing... it shouldn't be that hard!

PS. Chrissy's a big girl, and has a good sized eggspot, but her belly doesn't seems "swollen with eggs" like I've seen many breeding females have. Does she need to have a big gut to be ready to spawn?