Fish from AquaBid

Bec

Oh, let us know how you have to go about organising getting them into Australia etc and if you find it difficult for those of us that have never purchased off aquabid know what its like. I know there is alot of info about it, but would be good to hear your story and how you find it, cheers, Jane :D

Experience so far ...

Looking at the fish on AquaBid - WARNING ... addictive and dangerous!

Buying the fish - register at least a day before you need to, it takes a while to get approved. Other than that it is straight forward. The chap I bought them from was very nice and helpful, offered me a female sibling for the yellow fish at a discount price.

Contact with the seller - the seller will email you re details and in my case, he gave me details for someone and advised he would fix the transport to the shipper at his end

Paying for the fish - enter into your PayPal account and there is a function where you can enter another persons email address to pay the seller. Don't forget the auction is in $US. There is a small fee involved (I chose to pay this rather than the seller ... not sure of the protocol).

That is as far as I have got so far ... I did send someone an email prior to bidding and she directed me to her fish chick web site, which has lots of info on it, and have also emailed since the purchase. I have also purchased fish from someone before (they were Thailand fish already in Aus) and it was a very easy and straight forward transaction / post and the fish are stunning (so much so that when I unwrapped the first fish I thought it was smaller than I had imagined, but still stunning colour, and than I unwrapped the second fish and realised the first one was actually the female LOL ... the males were beyond my expectations!)

I do hope the new fish are OK ... if they work out well I think I will get some giant halfmoons next ... saw some stunning ones last week but figured I should give a cheaper fish a go before forking out $100 each. I am not really planning on breeding, but figure it may happen sometime down the track so it is better to get a mate just in case (and I kinda like the harem tank, they are entertaining to watch and some of the colours are as nice as the males)

Will update as I get them :)

Thank you!! :)

Just a reminder to people to please have a look at the rules regarding copyright. It really helps the mods, and me, if you mention in your post whether you have permission to use breeders'/sellers' photos. None of us want any trouble regarding copyright, I am sure. Me least of all!

• 4 weeks later...

Update time ...

Last week I received an email from Jodie that my fish were ready to leave quarantine and there was detailed list of transport costs. I paid using bank deposit online, too easy.

I also purchased a red pair from Jodie and two other fish from Thailand, including a giant halfmoon, so all up it was 7 fish! I opted to go Aus post rather than transhipper as it is a one day trip as opposed to two days.

On Thursday I arrived home to my package and opened it eagerly. As I began to open I noticed water and wet newspaper ... AGGGHHHH! :(( I frantically unwrapped bags and there were two burst bags. Unfortunately, two of the half moons from Thailand were dead. :rip:

The other fish are all fine and healthy and I am very happy with them.

The next day I discussed the burst bags with someone and she explained that this had only ever happened once before, and was more than likely to be due to the parcel being dropped at some stage. :notsure:

Jodie explained she does not offer a DOA with Auspost, but maybe could give me another halfmoon. I declined as I see it as part of the risk of transporting (the fish were well packed and the bags did not come undone ... they literally burst, not something someone could have prevented). Next time I will go with Transhipper as they are aware the package has live fish so may take better care of the parcel, even though it takes longer.

The fish that did arrive are stunning :love: and overall I will do it again, with another two giants and some gorgeous looking girls on their way soon,

I will post some photos when I have time

Bec