Tail biting - Need some help pls

gb86217

Hi, I have been learning in this forum for a while now, it is a shame that I thought I know most of the basics, but my betta still keeping biting himself. I thought I can keep them in a 3L tank peacefully. but it turn up they are not happy, so here is the plan, I am going to get a bigger tank maybe 40cm long, a decent filtration system, A heather and IAL always on top of the water. is anyone can tell me what else can make my betta even happier? thanks.

Hiya Ben, I have all that x 5, and if a Betta is going to bite his own tail he will, no matter what size you put him in or how much is in there. For example, my fave boy who's at my side watching me about 16 hours a day - he flares like crazy at anyone's face except mine, has 2 x mirror flaring sessions a day and loves his tank, will rip big chunks out of his tail.

Bigger tanks are much nicer for them and, of course, much nicer for you too. I haven't had a tail biter who's been in with other fish oddly enough, and they all get on especially well with 2-3 albino Cory's in with them.

Hi Ben

As BettaBetta said you really cant stop them biting their tails. I have a couple of HM's that are tail biters I found keeping them in water with IAL leaf and not having their tank light on all the time helps my guys. They stop chewing their tails but the moment I do a water change or remove the leaf and dont replace it they start chewing again.

Thanks for all of you, I can only guess the reason he does that is because the water condition is not good enough, I cannot put a filter into the tank he currently stays because it is too small (16 * 16 * 16), so I think I might just get a bigger tank with good filteration system so the situation would getting better. not mentioned I live in Wollongong so a heater would do some help in winter. also a good size tank is necessary for breeding in the future.

Hi again Ben, imo heaters are an absolute necessity for Betta's - I currently have one being treated in a 3 Litre small cube & the heater just fits in there.

If your boy has already damaged his fins add some IAL, a little extra salt & (maybe Melafix, I did as his tail was torn out by the roots) to his water as it will help faster re-growth.

I agree with Di, you definitely need to ensure that his tank stays at a constant temp of at least 25C (ideally 28 - 30C).

It is risky heating small bodies of water as if your thermostat sticks, you cook the fish. for such situations it is generally recommended that you put your tank on a reptile heating cord instead. There are a few threads about that, try a search for more details if interested :)