Paradise fish

jamal

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

o oh. i have just noticed a tiny bit of ammonia burn on both my fish.

WHAT AM I DOING WRONG!!! I have tonnes of plants, all healthy, the pond is full of bloodworms i probably don't even need to feed them they have enough food. Its like a sustainable ecosystem now so why the ammonia burn??

please help me and my fish

Japelno

Did you test the Water? I actually have Paradise Fry at the moment, spotted a Female at work amongst all the males and threw her and a Male into a Glass Bowl so no one would buy them and within 18 hours they had bred!!!!! LOL Let them both with the eggs and young for the first week and Now I have the Female at home getting her ready to breed with a Super Red Male. They have paired up and he has a nice nest so any day now I'd expect them to also breed. Fry are all still with the dad after 2 weeks and doing well in the Bowl.

Have you tested the water for ammonia (or taken a sample to your LFS for testing).

I suspect you have a massive bio-load in the pond which is generating ammonia faster than it can be recycled. I would try to remove as much bloodworm as possible from your pond - perhaps sell it to other hobbyists. Alternatively increase the frequency of your water changes in the pond.

Hobbyists always have one problem or another to cope with. Yours is not really a serious problem

In biology we talk about 'open' and 'closed' ecosystems. The closed style (generally) can sustain itself, the open cannot. If you are feeding the fish at all, it is an open system. Therefore the nutrient load of the water is continually increasing. I would do some water changes, and your problem will probably fix itself up.

Edited by Terribletegs

In biology we talk about 'open' and 'closed' ecosystems. The closed style (generally) can sustain itself, the open cannot. If you are feeding the fish at all, it is an open system. Therefore the nutrient load of the water is continually increasing. I would do some water changes, and your problem will probably fix itself up.

Ahhhh good way of explaining it, I guess the reason mine works so well when I feed the Fish 2 or 3 times a day is the fact I have the Aquaponics in place and this helps clean the water also.

OK, i feel like such a freak because i came home and there is no sign of ammonia burn at all??? I could see what i thought was a tiny bit of ammonia burn yesterday but now my fish look normal again. Could it disappear so quicky or was i seeing things? Anyway, yeaterday for the first time in 3 years i got my siphon working! So i sucked out some bloodworm and fish waste (im surprised that there was not very much at all) and feed my fish only a tiny bit of food, put in some more ambulia (3 good sized, vigorous stems which are now bare stalks) and i still have lots of val. and milfoil which the fish hate, and did a good-sized water change. Fish still very happy and have this beautiful and stunning glittery shine on their fins. They look soo much happier and more active, and i can tell they have grown. It will take a while for them to outgrow it wont it?

KenR60 wow 18 hours! Breeding paradise fish sounds like fun! Good luck with them.

MelbBill i removed some bloodworm (70%) and i think my problem (if there ever was one) is resolved, but i guess it can't hurt to siphon out poop!

Terribletegs ive done a water change and i think its under control.

Thanks everyone!

Japelno