Excel Algae Brush

Ghengis

Just a little something I dreamed up the other day. Don't even know as to its effectiveness, just yet... But anyhoo. A little background. We all know the effectiveness of spot treating algae with Flourish Excel. Well I had been using the technique for a while, with great success, until I noticed the riccia below the algae affected area was starting to burn...obviously the Excel was just floating down and OD'ing the riccia. So I gave that idea away. Recently I had noticed the GHA starting to get a little prominent...not excessive, just annoying. So, I took my algae magnet (the rough half) and began scrubbing the affected rock, to little avail. That's when it hit me...I needed something that would dispense some Excel, very accurately, and make the most use of it before it was dispelled or floated away.

This is what I came up with.

Take one new, firm, toothbrush; a small syringe; some airline; a couple cable ties; and an airline elbow (note the elbow in the pic has had the end barb already sawn off)

IMG_2365.jpg

In the back of the head of the t'brush, I drilled a pilot hole, followed by a hole just large enough to accomodate the elbow

IMG_2367.jpg

IMG_2368.jpg

IMG_2369.jpg

...and now you will all have to wait until someone replies to this so I can post more pics.

Really need to get that sorted, mods. Of the 10 or so forums I frequent, this is the only one that won't let me post multiple pics or even sequential posts... It's a royal PITA and more than just a little bit annoying :D

Cheers.

Insert elbow...

IMG_2370.jpg

...and attach syringe (with zip tie, for security)

IMG_2371.jpg

Take measured dose of Excel. I usually dose 10ml daily, but the syringe will only take 5ml. The remaining 5ml was tipped straight into the tank.

IMG_2372.jpg

...another reply, please :D

Cheers again, Stefan.

Final installment...

...it is at this point that I became re-aquainted with gravity

IMG_2373.jpg

...oooops!! So, I hastily removed the syringe, filled it separately and re-attached it.

Time for a test out! ...and for a very inquisitive Paradise Fish to see if the new thing is edible...

IMG_2375.jpg

The idea is that I dispense just enough Excel as I work, scrubbing away on the affected rock. As I say, I don't even know if it will work, time will tell as to the effectiveness, but I like the idea and thought maybe someone here could use it too :D

Thanks for looking!

gravity can be overcome... use the syringe's plunger to suck up the excel directly from the bottle by dipping the toothbrush head in, pull back on the plunger and ur syringe is full! Simple.

Good idea.

To apply the excel, however, you'll have to squirt small amounts in as you scrub (otherwise the excel will stay in the syringe)

Love slapstick comedy in still, different, and funny!

Next thing you know is that you'll upgrade that little "doova" and put a second channel alongside the toothbrush (either syringe or siphon drainage tube) so that the little doova acts like a little hoover and sucks out the mess as you scrub. Now that's genius!

I can see the ads now.... rather than "easy off BAM", it'll be "easy off doova-hoova"...BAM!

By the way... I have no idea what GHA is, and, how does this excel stuff work, and, are you just cleaning a rock?

Edited by paul

OK, GHA is Green Hair Algae. And Excel is an organic, carbon based liquid, developed for easy absorption by aquatic plants. It also contains an algaecide, so is great for killing off, and controlling, algae, if used regularly.

In the next installment, I will demonstrate various techniques for actual scrubbing of algae affected areas.

That Thread will be titled "The doova-hoova manoeuvre" :D

Edited by Ghengis

Really need to get that sorted, mods. Of the 10 or so forums I frequent, this is the only one that won't let me post multiple pics or even sequential posts... It's a royal PITA and more than just a little bit annoying

I am sorry that you find this issue frustrating, but perhaps you could revisit this thread in which the very good and fair reason for the limit is explained and we requested that if you found it necessary to post more than 5 images, you link to your photobucket account.

BTW it is Admin (singular) not mods (plural), and an admin with a 70 hour a week job and no web design expertise at that. Sorry if the forum does not meet your exacting standards! :P