Would anyone consider 2 beautiful goldfish?

jamal

Okay, heres the story. I love my fish, but i'd rather know that they are healthy in the care of someone else than dying in bad conditions in my care. I am only young and just old enough to get a job so i can upgrade their tiny home, but every time i apply, i get turned down, which means i cannot afford a home for them. Even if i could afford to buy them a bigger home, my parents will not allow me to 'dig up the whole yard' (my backyard is huge and i only need to dig out 220l), UNFAIR! So i am left with no alternative but to give away my beautifuls.

I am not yet giving them away or entirely sure i will do it but would like to know if anyone who is experienced with keeping goldfish (and who lives around Gosford, NSW) would like to have them and could give them optimum living conditions.

They are perfectly healthy but i know that if i don't give them away or upgrade they will get ill.

Anyone?

Hi MelbBill,

Sadly, my fish are overcrowded, i know it for a fact. I was told by a dealer that i could fit 4 goldfish into 40l. So, having experience with other fishes, i knew the basics and asked lots of dealers on the conditions they require and decided to buy 2 so they were not overstocked. Well, then they were growing so fast i decided to research their growth rates and then found out i needed a bigger home for them. Devastating. I know its only a matter of time before all hell breaks loose.

2 goldfish in 40l, stupid me

Hi, to my knowledge provided you maintain good water paremeters your goldies will be fine in 40L. They do only grow to a size that they can maintain in their environment. In saying that there is absolutely no reason that they will become ill, they just won't grow as big as they could in a larger environment. Don't be disheartened, you are not the first to have perfectly healthy goldies in a tank that size. Just enjoy them, I have had goldies live to over 5yo in a tank that size, I think there was about 6 of them.

Thanks everyone :D

Well, i think i have just made some progress on my fishy problem. I got into a huge argument with my parents and i think they will never like me again but at least i won't have to watch my fish die. They said provided i never nag them for anything for my (according to them) spoilt fish :D , i can get a 220l storage crate from bunnings but i have to do all the digging e.t.c. I'm good with it.

But there is something i was wondering about.... will the plastic harm them? I also have some of this waterproof sealing stuff, used to stop nasty cheicals e.t.c from leaking out of concrete ponds. Should i put it on the crate? Will it bond to the crate?

Maintaining good water in my pond (more like puddle) is really hard. I do 33% water changes every 3 or 4 days and because i have such a crappy filter, i have to net out debris and fish waste, theres never a shortage of waste! What i think is harming them most is nitrates. I have had them for just over a year and they have got ammonia burn 3 times :P , despite doing all that i can. It is just too small for an ecosystem to develop.

Thanks eveyone :P

Maintaining good water quality in a 220L tank isnt hard due to its capacity. Large parameter changes are rare.

Re garding the nitrates, get plenty of fast growing plants in there. Hornwort will do well in the cold water as well as duckweed, this will also provide a source of food for them. (they will also eat up the ammonia.)

Its good to see someone caring so much for their fish, some house 4 goldfish in a 20L bowl. Very unfair.

Good luck.

I agree entirely with Peter16 - the larger the volume of water, the easier is the water quality to manage. And live plants (including elodea) will be great for keeping the water clean (assuming your goldfish allow the plants to grow).

I keep a couple of the Bunings bins as water reservoirs for changing water in my fish-room and have never had any problems with the water.

When digging the hole, I suggest you put a layer of sand at the bottom of the hole before putting your 220 litre pond in. There is some reason for doing so, but it escapes me at the moment.

Also do you have many birds where you live? If so, you might consider putting some chicken wire across the top of the 220 litre pond to deter birds from fishing.

You are really to be commended for your fish-keeping.

(PS: your parents probably think you will be deterred from digging a 220 litre hole but will be very proud of you once you are finished)

thanks peeps!

i hope they get over it :alright:

I sure will put plently of live plants in it. My LFS has plenty of Elodea and Hornwort for a really cheap price.

There is no way i will ever not have wire over the pond, i live in bird central! Lots of cats too! Sand... my soil is like sand... will i still need to put sand?

Thanks so much peeps! :D

The reason for sand (that I can think of) is so that when the water goes in your tub it settles onto soft sand and the bottom of the tub is totally supported to avoid pressure and cracking. Sand will also allow a lot of drainage from around the sides of the tub too.

Are you leaving the tub edges above the ground? Always a good idea to have some way to stop fish swimming away with a downpour that fills your pond. Maybe a raised edge of rocks / gravel to let the water flow but not the fish!

My Opinion is this, by the time you Dig the Hole and Buy a 220 Litre Tub you may as well dig a Hole double this size and buy some Pond Liner, add some nice Rocks and Plants around the Edges and make it look the WoW part of the Garden. The Cheaper the Tub the more chance it will begin to break away after a year or two outside. I know the Clear Plastic Tubs they sell if left outside become Brittle and Break. If your Parents have agreed on a Tub, then Google "Ponds" and pick a Nice Image and show them this and explain it would look so much Better then a Tub and might work out Cheaper also, plus you might encourage them to allow you to go larger. Just don't get excited like I did, start Digging and 11 metres later ( 8,000 Litres ) I stopped .. LOL

hey peeps!

yes, i will get some sand.

KenR60, price is a big issue. my parents have said tub or nothing and i vote tub. But a lovely big, irregularly-shaped PVC lined pond would be so much better. 220l is also the largest hole i am allowed to dig <_<

11m later! OMG! you would have needed a chiropractor.

Thanks peeps. :D

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Urgh! what a terrible month. :(

now i cannot even have the plastic storage tub. my parents think it will use too much water and too much water ager because they think for some reason even though i have explained countless times to them that because its so large (yeah, large) that i will be cleaning it once a week. where did they get that idea? its no use. i have tried everything possible.

I will be posting an ad for my beautifuls in Jan.

A few days ago i almost lost them. Somehow the 40l 'pond' they are in was emptied of water by the fountain leaning to the left and spraying water out. To me it just doesn't make sense coz i always have the fountain so low that even if it was leaning, it just couldn't happen. Anyway, i came home and my mum was in hysterics and told me that she found them lying flat on the pebbles out of the water just breathing! She put in a bucket of water and guessed the right amount of water ager! (thank god for that!) Aside from a lot of missing scales + scrathches and extremely stressed fish who refused to feed for two days, they survived.

I had to go on holdiays for a few days after the horrible incident and didn't sleep because i was wondering if they made it. What bad timing for a holiday!

My parents also said that unless there is some sort of living thing in the 'pond' i cannot keep it (why would they say that? they're always telling me that my fish cause too much stress for everyone! they only cause me stress and it is my fault they do). So if anyone knows of something which will happily live in 40l and can live outside in winter that would be appreciated. But i really don't want another fish or whatever, not for a looooong time. I love fish but i think this will take some time.

thanks, Japelno

I was just thinking the very same thing. Perhaps if they could read some of the forums and know that you are not alone in your fishy endeavour, re proper care etc. They may just change their minds.... Or not, you can only try. Good luck.