Hello people =]

bbyysteven

Hello guys,

I'm new to this site, and it appealed to me because I love bettas. I used to have some, but later on in my life I became busy so I gave them away to a good friend who liked my fishes.

Now that I'm not as busy, I would love to return to my betta caring.

Though I was still an amature back then, now I have your help, I'm sure my bettas would love me even more =]

I used to feed them bloodwarms and so I will continue doing so with my new ones when I get them. (I've heard bettas love them, I usually feed them 2 - 3 a day, let me know if that is too much or too little)

I live in Melbourne, and I've been to many pet shops and they sell the ordinary bettas, I'm looking for HMs and I can't find any.

If you guys know any good pet shops please let me know. I live near Sunshine.

I was recently given 2 18litre tanks. Obviously 1 for each fish, but what should I put in it? Rocks? Ornaments?

Please let me know with your expertise advice and experience.

Thanks a lot guys.

Edited by Steven

Hi Steven, welcome to AAQ. We have a few Melbourne members breeding nice bettas so you should be able to find what you're after.

I suggest you put plants eg java fern in the tank. Are you going to use a filter? what about substrate? Are you hoping to breed, or just keep bettas as pets?

I think I'll keep them as pets for now, but when I gain more experience with the bettas, I'll give breeding a try.

I only have 2 18litre tanks. I might do what Nina told me to do and get a divider so I can get 4 bettas.

I dont think there will be a filter, and I'm not sure what a substrate is o.o

When I was little, I bought gold fish, and we bought this plant, I think its the one you mentioned, and I thought it was meant to go into the gravel. And few days later I noticed my gold fishes died, and when i pulled the plant out, the roots were rotting away.

Hi Steven. java fern doesn't have any roots. It can be anchored to driftwood etc though, through a rhizome at the base of the leaves.

Substrate = gravel.

Images of java fern :(

In a small tank with no filter I'd probably go for bare bottom (easy to vacuum) and plant on driftwood. Or just floating plants like duckweed (although duckweed can be messy).

Oh, its not the fern, it was kinda like a long stem with leaves sticking out. How do I vacuum?

And are blood worms good enough?

I'm also looking for HM/OHM/Super Delta/ Some Crowntails to buy from melbourne, do you know any?

I'm look for 4 fishes, but I already got at least one that I will buy from nina (but i haven't seen all her fishes yet)

I do have gravel, but I will remove them if it is better for the fishes, I just thought they help hide the poop so the fish wont eat it, but then again I dont think bettas are low level eaters

Edited by Steven

Hi Steven, welcome to our group. Lotsa good people and lotsa good info here too. Glad to hear that you are getting back into fishkeeping, -after keeping fish for over 40 years I find it hard to imagine being without them!. Please digest my two cents worth of info for your new tank set up......... You mentioned ornaments.......for the health of your fish may I please recommend that you don't use any "cast resin" items in your tanks as they can (do) leach toxins into the water, also brightly coloured or highly polished substrates are often painted and are also toxic to your little mates. If your tanks are not lit the best "low-light" plants to have are ,(as Lilli said), java moss, java fern and duckweed for top cover. Another really good low light weed, (if you can get it), is elodea, also referred to as "oxygen weed". It's hard to get because it has been recently classified as a noxious weed. Cheers Steven, -Brad. :welcome::fish::fish: :fish:

Hi Steven. Welcome to AAQ.

I think Nina might be the only breeder with adult fish ready for sale. Stefan (splendidbetta) might have some that are almost ready. I won't have any ready for a couple of months yet.

I'm not on your side of town but the shops in Melbourne where I've seen halfmoons are Coburg Aquarium, St Kilda Aquarium, Blackburn Aquarium, Amazing Amazon in Glen Waverley, and there's a new aquarium in Oakleigh that I don't remember the name. Oakleigh Aquarium sells discus but there's a new place that's opened right next to it that had a few halfmoons and crowntails. I wish I could remember what they were called but it's worth the trip just to see the spectacular marine section. You could also have a look at Aquatic Escape in Maidstone although they're not really known for stocking halfmoons.