Making a moss wall

Any of the mosses should work ok for a 'wall' but some like Flame Moss (what you referred to as Fire Moss I think) grows straight up so might not be the best for it.

I'm trying one just with java moss to start with - it takes a while to grow out of the mesh (I'm using gutter guard) but will eventually cover it and look great. All I did was cut some gutter guard, double it over and sandwich a really thin layer of moss between it - I used cable ties to lock the mesh together and that was it.

You can also use the mesh to create a 'floor' in your tank - I've seen people do it with riccia and I'm going to try one soon with that now that my riccia has grown enough for me to experiment with it.

Don't forget you can tie mosses and riccia to almost anything and they will establish themselves on it - wood, rocks, gravel, ornaments, etc...

If you're looking for mosses, I know someone (someone) has some starter meshes with small amounts of moss on them (the piece I got even had a little suction cup to stick it to the glass).

Also - This website is for people wanting to trade / swap / buy aquarium plants - there are a few who will sell them if you contact them - some listings are old but there are a fair few active people on there.

Riccia needs a fair bit of light to get going but I've let mine float on the top of the tanks rather than anchor it down below the surface - actually had one betta use some of it in his bubble nest. It will form a 3cm thick carpet over the top of your tank if you let it - I just keep spreading it amongst different tanks and now I have enough to make a wall out of it.

Hope this helps.

No probs QueenSerpentine & axoloto - I almost forgot about that site - I registered on it last year and only remembered tonight when someone emailed me to ask if I had any Fraser Island Lilaeopsis.

There is one guy Brad listed on there with quite a few mosses - I think it's the same guy who is selling moss on the Australian version of that American auction site (you know... the one that owns PayPal and Skype). :applaud:

Anyway ... just go to the plant search and enter either the common name, genus or species name and it will tell you who has the plant available and also shows you their wish list if you want to trade them something....

Hope you get some nice moss for your wall Queenserpentine - also check out bolbitis heudelottii - looks great on the pic and looks like it would hold onto a wall or a piece of wood.

I LOVE Java Moss! It's so easy to work with; normally I tie a bit of it to a bit of driftwood - with a rubber band! When the rubber band falls off weeks later, the moss is already attached. :applaud:

Also I love the look of it with its cutesy little new shoots and everything. :applaud: I am gonna go get some gutterguard and make some walls!

Flame moss makes an awesome carpet though! Where are you located QS? The auctions are another great place to source moss.

Edit, just looked again and saw you are in Melbourne, um, not sure why I missed it! :o

Edited by Bender