Freeze Dried Food

Marianne

I've been feeding my splendens and smaragdinas freeze dried bloodworms pretty much every day, but then someone in a different forum said freeze dried shouldn't be fed other than as a treat because it can cause constipation due to absorbing water and swelling. Is this true?

If so, what can I feed them every day to keep them conditioned?

I can't confirm or deny it's a problem....but it would be easy to fix....stick it in water a few minutes before feeding

There is also a fair bit of talk on forums about bloodworms....they have a row of small hooks each side of their body

Theory is they sometimes get caught in a fishes gut or tear the lining allowing bacterial diseases to occur....but I don't know that it is a fact

I feed NLS pellets for small fish and colourbits as a staple diet.....mossie/fly larva,grindal,white or black worms as a treat

I'm also using a small orange pellet produced for Aquaculture....they are betta bite size.....seem ok???

Well if it's not really a problem I'll prolly stick with the bloodworms for now. I have some betta pellets which I got for my fighter but they are too big to fit in his mouth. Pretty silly. The smaragdinas could prolly eat them but don't know if they would see it as food. I might try it tomorrow.

FWIW I have always fed my fish bloodworms, both frozen and FD, and now I feed FD blackworms. I have never to my recollection had a problem with bloat - and I have a good memory. I can't recall ever trying the mushy pea thing except once, on a fish with dropsy rather than constipation (it didn't work, but back then I hadn't realised it is kinder to euthanise a dropsy fish ASAP). Anyway IMHO these foods are fine.

As with all dried food, if you feed them an absolute bundle of it and the gorge whe it is dry, it will increase in size in the gut. Same thing can happen to dogs, horses etc, and with them it is the same as fish - primarily a problem with processed foods.

Given the amount of water FD worms take on and the squishy nature of them when they are wet, providing you don't feed a bunch at once, you should be fine. To be honest, I'm more worried about pellets for stuff like that. If you get ones that are high in cereals they can almost double in size and are far less squishy.