Crabbie Yabbies

fuzzy_dragonfly

I'm down to 2 yabbies, one with a missing claw. I doubt it was an escape, looks more like the big one got pekish and ate his playmate. They've been moulting, so they're growing at a nice rate.

I'm too lazy to google it but are yabbies one of those creatures that can regenerate a lost limb?

Lots on hidey spaces in their tank and get fed plenty of old goldfish flakes (since I don't have goldfish anymore). Maybe the big one is just nasty. He might be nice on the barbeque if he keeps eating the other yabbies!!!

I'm down to 2 yabbies, one with a missing claw

Lucky, when we had 2 yabbie's in the same tank we had been feeding them bits of chicken neck and got up one morning to find that we had only one yabbie :) oh, there were a few bits of shell for the next several hours. Like when they moult everything gets eaten.

• 2 weeks later...

i had a pair of yabies until the female ate the male!

but the female (yasmine) lived for five years... in my tank thet is, i got her from a yabbie farmer when she was alredy pretty old...

i hand fed her carrot, egg shells and sometimes dogfood, but i never had actual yabbie food just meat and basicly old pet food.

i found that when i set the temperature at about 29C she moulted and grew more, some times moulting 3 times a year.

i also made a little exercise pen with a low but large tray for her to get in and out of and sometimes she would go scavenging for food!

My husband had yabbies for a long time. He was lucky (?) enough to get a brooding female back in 1994, we came out one morning to hundreds of miniature yabbies. Not knowing anything about them at the time we left them in the same tank, next morning there were five babies left, needless to say we removed them to another tank and managed to raise four of them to a decent size then sold them to the pet shop. We had the female for years after that until she was quite large. Big enough in fact to lift the glass lids and go 'walk-about' We found her four days later (in the bedroom of all places) barely alive. She survived the dogs and everything...absolutely amazed me. Unfortunately, the heat on January 1 2006 was too much for her. It reached 46 here and my air con packed it up as well so she went to yabbie heaven that day, along with a fairly large number of my bettas and one chook.

Archived