Where Does This Fish Fit In?

Bender

I have no chance of importing a fish any time soon, but couldn't help trawling through the lists!

I think this fellow is spectacular, but where does it fit in as far as colour? Would a fish like this be good for breeding from, or would it create to many problems?

black dot

it's interesting! Looks like a black lace, possibly marble. Not sure what explains the spots. Often you see red spots rather than yellow. Perhaps it is the red loss gene and it had red spots that tuned yellow ... nah, I reckon that would just remove the red, not leave 'bleach marks' on the fish!

PS - nobody critique the fishy! Cheers :fun:

I've seen a couple like that on Ab lately, really interesting. I think it's melano based, or it could be black lace as Lilli says.

The other ones on Ab were definetly melanos though, seem to be black with a yellow wash.

I can't quite remember properly and I've never worked with yellow enugh to know but I think that's how the yellow gene works, it masks other colour genes. Colour genes work in levels and I think the yellow covers up for eample the red level or the blue level, maybe here it's covering the black level?

I don't know, I dont even remember where I heard that; possibly it's a figment of my own imagination, anyone? lol

Oops :fun: didn't intend to put anyone on dangerous ground! Definately not after a critique, I guess what I meant is more along the lines of what Sara answered. Could you, for example take a fish like this and develop a 'leopard' betta line? Or would such an unusual mix of characters be hard to pin down to one single trait?

I really hate to say this andI'm happy to be shot down in flames...... To me it looks like there is more than one fish superimposed on another. I am having trouble focusing on 'the' fish because it seems like there are other photos behind it. Does anyone see it trhis way or is it just the chardonnay???

The photo could be better but it appears genuine :fun:

The yellow pattern might be a relative of the dalmatian spotted oranges and reds. If I recall correctly, it's recessive and might be the result of a jumping gene that randomly inserts itself into colour genes, thereby inactivating them in some parts of the fish but not in others.

I had a read up on the genetics of this kind of colour, aparently it came about as a result of a spawn between yellow and melano and then a sibling spawn. The same spawn was done with a few pairs of sih from different line and the result was similar in each spawn; the 'yellow spotted melano'

I may have to try this for myself :)

Archived