New Tanks for the Adelaide Royal Show

RarePets

We are fortunate to have a great tank builder local to us. When we got back into the hobby last year we looked at his own display tanks in his shop. I measured the space we had available and ordered the 4 tanks that became our main Barracks for our Bettas.

Anyway last Saturday I gave him a drawing for two custom tanks to use at the Royal Show, went back today tanks are ready and picked up. I think I got a good price for tanks made from 6mm glass. (I think I got a discount showing his support for the hobby actually). The basic tank size is 610 mm x 305mm with minimum height 355mm. The partitioning of our tanks will house 6 fish per tank. I still have to put lid supports and handles so it may be after the shows starts before I make any pictures of them that way they will hopefully have prize cards and fish visible.

Yeah, entries closed last Friday the 18th July. Show week is 5th to 13th September 2008. We start setting up 30th August with Judging on 4th September.

With our show, Bettas are entered as Male Siamese Fighters comprising at least two males. I hope our Giant Geno Half Moons do well. I understand condition of the fish will attribute most of the point score for the judging format. They also use overall length so we may end up comming home with large VT's having won the class. Between myself and Jo-Anne we will have 12 bettas in the show. Mine have been entered as 3 entries of 2 fish plus one entry as the 6 fish in the tank. This way I hope to maximise points for uniformity of the total exhibit.

Still the extra members of our city seeing our fish will hopefully bring extra interest to the more exotic varieties of Bettas.

Our surplus fish will be catalogued as the show approaches so we can make space for the next generation that we intend spawning.

• 2 weeks later...

Suppose I was surprised how fast Mike was able to build the tanks for me. Alot of fiddly bits with all the dividers being built in, still the 100mm centres gives little space for hands even when the back and side walls are added last. The internal walls only need to keep fish in not fully water sealed

Today I used the last of the strips of 6mm glass from the modifications that became required for the Barracks. I think I still have around 15 inches remaining from around 20 metres he had cut for me. The strips are around 15mm wide for lid supports, I cut the glass for the handles on the lids from scraps of glass glued it all in place.

Next weekend I have to cut some narrow strips of 5mm acrylic sheet to hold the mesh in place then it is just putting the backing on and testing the heaters and getting some filters ageing.

Our breeding program can start up again at any time as I have solved the supply problem of Brine Shrimp Eggs. Tested the new eggs the hatch rate is high.

328534239.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Yes there is set sizes for tanks to suit the staging and present an attractive display.

"All Aquaria must be rectangular and have a surface area of 610mm x 305mm with a minimum height of 355mm or 915mm x 356mm with a minimum height of 457mm." Word for word from the show schedule.

Our tanks have been custom made with 100mm centres for the dividers with a rear section to house a couple of smallworld type filters, (another essential of the show conditions that all tanks must have filtration). For use at the show I will fill to 25mm above the filter area allowing moderate water movement throughout, Java moss will be above 12mm river sand and duck weed floating on the surface of each compartment for the fish. The dividing walls between each fish have been made with double peices of 3mm glass with plain backing plastic sandwiched and glued between them. Should allow them to see their own reflection during the show without the constant view of another fish.

• 4 weeks later...

Show Time. Judging of the Aquarium Fish Section of the Royal Adelaide Show was completed on Thursday 4th September as scheduled. I went up there late today and :eadshake: :dance:

333242669.jpg

In addition to the 12 Half Moons we also exhibited some of our BristleNose Catfish

333242644.jpg

These photos are slightly out of focus, the light in the tanks tricked the auto focus at the time and I only had 20 minutes parking today.

Archived