Hello

RarePets

I seem to have some sort of advantage at present. My wife has been a member here for some time and I have read over her shoulder a number of occassions. I belive she has been less active recently due my changed working hours.

We had a successful breeding of Half Moon Bettas from the stock that came from Thialand. Second generation pairings are being planned. Later I will post some fresh photos of our fish.

We are also having great success with Bristlenose Catfish and have been able to help one of the major aquarium shops in Adelaide with stock during the past 6 months while there has been limited supplies.

Empty Aquariums here include 1000 litre indoor feature tank - (One Tiger Oscar Died recently and the other was put out into the marketplace)

One deep 3 ft tank plus a 30inch tank.

Full Tanks include 7x 2ft fry tanks full of Betta Fry, 1x3ft fry tank full of Betta Fry. 2x 4ft tanks as breeding and grow out tanks for Bristlenose Catfish.

Our main Betta tanks are 4x 1 metre x 0.5 metre x 0.2 metre deep, each tank giving approx. 4 litres of water for each of 20 male Bettas. Capacity 80 males

Wow that's a lot of tanks! Sounds like you have a great set up there I'm so envious. If I had the space I'd probably go a little nuts with tanks so it's a good thing I don't have the space. Will pm you with regards to the bristlenose catfish, we are looking for some direct from breeder and at a good price.

RRRRROOOOOOOOOOOOBBBERRT!! :goodo: Great to finally meet you! Excellent that you finally decided to get your own username. Now we can hear both sides of the story and take sides!! :lol: In a healthy, caring, sharing, pursuit-of-learning kinda way of course! :lol: Congrats on the successful spawns. Can't wait to hear more details and to see pics.

I'll get to the BN question in a couple of hours, just placed a small version of one of our fish hopefully as an avatar. I made this photo last weekend and was one of 15 fish that got photographed. Hope I have set it correctly.

Just relised I didn't give Jo-Anne much of a mention before. As you can see I finally worked out how to get the picture as an avatar and not just a profile picture. No doubt Jo-Anne would have told me if I had asked.

Putting things from the confused way of writing a couple of hours ago while I had been watching the clock. All of our Bettas and some of the Bristle Nose Catfish are living in our insulated and air conditioned shed 5m x 3m. The fry that have been seperated are in 2 litre jars and the airconditioning maintains the water temperature within acceptable limits.

I really need to not diminish Jo-Annes efforts at breeding the Bettas. Fish that we bought, pairing and conditioning for spawning. Through most of it I was doing little more than the water changes. Even then it sometimes took being asked several times.

Problems we encountered brought me to having a closer look and solving issues. Water quality was as I understand is commonly a problem for novice fish keepers. To that end we now create our our water supply from rain water and the addition of minerals and carbonate, this way we have each batch of water having the same parameters for hardness, carbonate and ph. We also avoid the need for aging mains water. Seems water from our nearest mains pumping station varies alot with the seasons as to the amount of additives needed for human consumption.

We currently have 10 empty spawning tanks to make use of and I have no doubt that between Jo-Anne, myself and any feed back we get when more of our fish photos are posted here for comment we will have another round of small fry to feed.

Brings the issue of Brine Shrimp Eggs. Being half way through our second 454gm packet of eggs we have been told that our previous source can no longer provide them. I will source them from the USA if neccessary.

Archived