Building a Large Pond ( 8,000 Litres ) - Part#1

KenR60

OK here are some of the images I took before I began beginning to after I filled the Pond. Everything was done on a Budget ( The Wife's not mine! ) so that gave a lot more time to research before buying anything.

All Concreting was done in an old wheelbarrow until it finally collapsed and then by Bucket. Digging was done with my trusty Spade. Below is a list of some of the expences ...

Used Sliding Door to replace the Window - $270 ebay

New Pond Underlay 48m2 - $316.80 Water features Online

New Pond Liner Xavan 12x4m- $912 Water features Online

2 Month old 18watt PondMaster UV Clarifier - $51 ebay

New 16 Deck Lights 30mm Green - $70 ebay

Timber for Deck Construction - $466 Stratco

Water - 7,000 Litres - $150 Fast Water

Concrete, Gravel, Post Anchors etc. - $410 Bunnings

Pond Plants - about 20 Various - $80.00 ebay

Moss Covered Rocks 70 for $26 ebay

Man-Made Decking ( Still to Buy ) around $1500 - CleverDeck

As you can see I didn't compromise on the Liner or Underlay, actually used two layers of underlay. Liner was the most expensive brand but spec's showed what you got for your money compared to others. Thats the good thing about doing a Project like this over a few Months, no rush or hurry to source and buy everything.

The Final Decking is about 3 times more expensive then Hardwood but with no Mantenence, Staining, warping or splitting it makes it cheaper in the long run.

The Plants have been potted using Aquatic Potting Mix and sitting on Blocks under the water while I complete things further before eventually relocating them.

Hope these photos helps others who may have a spare side of the house that doesn't get used. Once finished this will be a very much used part of the house compared to before when only the Mower saw it.

Pond%20and%20Deck001.jpg

My Office Window before Removing

Pond%20and%20Deck002.jpg

My Office Window before Removing

Pond%20and%20Deck003.jpg

The Sliding Door added

Pond%20and%20Deck004.jpg

Begining the Concreting

The next 4 Images are in Part# 2

Thanks Ken! :lol: And thanks for putting the expenses in as well. I would normally be suffering from aquatic envy and wishing for a pond right about now but somehow that instinct seems to have suppressed itself. Of course the sight of that big spade might also have something to do with it. :lol: Can't wait to see the rest of the pics.

Here are the Next 4 Images of the Pond Construction.

Pond%20and%20Deck005.jpg

Setting out the Shape of the Deck

Pond%20and%20Deck006.jpg

Concreting the Deck and Pond Shape

Pond%20and%20Deck007.jpg

Beginning of the Pond Edge.

Pond%20and%20Deck008.jpg

Looking towards the back of the house.

The next 4 Images are in Part# 3

Pond%20and%20Deck009.jpg

Now the Pond Area is taking shape

Pond%20and%20Deck010.jpg

I added the Concrete Edge as a way of knowing the Shape and Level of the Pond

Pond%20and%20Deck011.jpg

Out comes the Spade and let the Digging begin ...

Pond%20and%20Deck012.jpg

Digging Completed, notice the Concrete Pads in the Bottom, these are for Supporting Rocks and Future Stepping Stones

The next 4 Images are in Part# 4

Pond%20and%20Deck013.jpg

Laying the Pond Underlay. Had enough for two layers.

Pond%20and%20Deck014.jpg

Even though the soil was sandy without rocks or stones I felt it worth the cost to still lay this underlay

Pond%20and%20Deck015.jpg

Pond Liner ready for Water Delivery.

Pond%20and%20Deck016.jpg

Pond with 7,000 litres of Water. Final Level of Water will be just under the Timber Joists shown.

No Liner will be visible after the Decking is completed. Decking will be around 3 Sides of the Pond in the above Image.

The next 4 Images are in Part# 5

Pond%20and%20Deck017.jpg

Here you can see the first Rock added on the Concrete Pad

Pond%20and%20Deck018.jpg

I Drilled through the Rock and created a Water Feature

Pond%20and%20Deck019.jpg

A Yellow Water Lilly and Banana Lilly

Pond%20and%20Deck020.jpg

Mixed Pond Plants from EBay

Pond%20and%20Deck021.jpg

More Plants, including 3 Different Rush's.

All Plants are being Potted to allow me to locate them once the Pond gets further advanced. Easier to control them as well.

Will Post further Images as things advance

OK a few weeks later ....

Pond%20and%20Deck022.jpg

The Rocks I bought from EBay

Pond%20and%20Deck023.jpg

The Bog Garden Section, here Water will be pumped into this area and the water will flow between the Rocks back into the Main Pond.

Pond%20and%20Deck024.jpg

Our Watercress Plants from Tasmania. 4 Weeks of growth and looking Good!!!!

Pond%20and%20Deck025.jpg

Back to the Decking, Still Screwing it all together here. Have added about 20 Mixed Goldfish for Colour.

Pond%20and%20Deck026.jpg

Love watching the Colour as they play 'Follow the Leader!'

Also added some Rainbows on the Weekend but have only seen these once in the past few days as they are very hard to spot in the water.

Looking at adding more Natives as I locate them. So anyone in Brisbane area with excess Natives for Sale please contact me.

Thanks Ken! :lol: And thanks for putting the expenses in as well. I would normally be suffering from aquatic envy and wishing for a pond right about now but somehow that instinct seems to have suppressed itself. Of course the sight of that big spade might also have something to do with it. :lol: Can't wait to see the rest of the pics.

Thanks Brettarazzi, Have uploaded all Images taken up til today ( well the best that show the construction from the hundred or so taken )

Hopefully it may give a few people ideas how to use up a section of their yard they may not use or access.

Just looking into the possiblity of Adding Native Frogs so that I can build up a breeding colony to add back to nearby ponds,

a few legal issues I think to be allowed to do this ( Still researching )

Looks fantastic Ken. Keep us updated as it progresses and the deck gets finished :lol:

Thanks Em, I certainly will,

hoping to buy an 18,000 lph pump and create my Filtration in about 2 weeks time, then its back to the Deck after that.

If you build the pond.... the frogs will come... :lol:

The Pond and area is completely sealed from outside critters like Cane Toads so I won't have any passing Frogs hopping in ;-(

Thats why I was thinking of setting up a Breeding colony

LOL you started a new thread for each group of photos. I probably confused you. You could have just replied to your own initial post to add the next batch of pics. :lol:

SORRY ... still new at these Forums and the methods used ....

It really is looking good. Very impressed.

Thanks, as usual I want to put all the wrong Fish in there ...

My selection is a lot smaller being an outside pond luckily, otherwise you could imagine I'd have

100 Neon's and hundreds of other Tropical Fish!!! LOL

Had to cross off the Turtles, Ducks, Swans and other critters :-)

That is really beautiful, looks like it was alot of work but definately worth it!

Do you have problems with birds? All the ponds around here have to be covered up with wire because of the storks

Well its only early days yet, and the Birds haven't spread the word that there are Free Goldfish to eat here .. I intend buying some of the Bird Netting, not the Wire type but the fine fibre one thats almost invisible to the eye and spread that from the Roof across to the fence so that it acts as a Trampoline and catapolts the Birds back up in the sky if they Dive down for a Feed. Last thing I want is to see an unsightly Wire protecting them.

Rained all day today so the Pond increased in depth by about 100mm. Now I will have to work faster over the weekend and get my Overflow Piping done so any excess water doesn't flood the Neighbours but goes down the Stormwater drain in the Corner. Of Cause I'll add Mesh to this to prevent loss of Fish!!!!

Here are some New Photos after todays drenching rain.

This shows more of the Bog Section offset to the main pond

Pond%20and%20Deck027.jpg

A Low view showing I can still get at least another 100mm of water ( Hopefully this weekend!! )

Pond%20and%20Deck028.jpg

Duck .....

Pond%20and%20Deck029.jpg

Archived