Building a Large Pond ( 8,000 Litres ) - Part#1

KenR60

That looks simply fantastic!

I vote for paradise fish and white clouds ;) Not exactly native, but sort of ltropical-ish :P

Be ccareful with the frogs. Aside from licensing, there is a noise concern. There is a lady near here that has a breeding colony in her backyard pond and she is always in the paper for various vandalism attempts by neighbours who can't stand the noise. The last article was about someone dumping a bundle of poison in the pond itself, which has apparently solved the problem for the neighbours and completely decimated the colony.

According to the paper, yes. And I can kind of understand the frustration the neighbours must feel having creaking croaking frogs under their bedroom window, those things are very loud, but it still makes me feel ill thinking about it. :P

But your neighbours might keep all sorts of animals which you might find annoying whether it be noisy frogs, clucking chickens, barking dogs etc. You can't just pop next door and murder whatever it is that's irritating you. And frogs being so endangered adds a whole different dimension to it. Very bad people! May they be afflicted by warts in their sensitive parts.

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Remember, if you want your fish to have bring colours and black fish to stay black, then make sure the water is green :)

Never knew that, I've just been feeding them the Best Food I could to bring out their Colours. Prefer to have crystal Clear water ;-)

I love it!!! I'd send you some frogs if I could. My neighbour had a pond that developed a major leak so when it emptyed the frogs that used to breed there moved into my place. I don't have a pond but I did have several containers outside with my live food cultures - daphnia mainly but also bloodworm and the ever present mosquito larvae. I now have several containers of tadpoles :) They seem to like it here as we have now bred several generations of frogs over the years. They also tend to take over my F100

DSCF0241.jpg

So what kind of Frogs are these? So many Frogs that look a little like Cane Toads that you wonder how many people that can't tell the difference kill them thinking they are killing a Cane Toad. Thats Great that you have seen a few generations bred and raised there!!!!

Ken

When you get a close look at them, they have lots of very small almost irridescent green spots as well as some yellow patches and the brown mottling. Their colouring is excellent camouflage on the trees here and they seem to adjust the shading as well. Fascinating little buggers, if not the prettiest around. We have the large green tree frogs at work but not at home.

Archived