BN scales

jusdeb

Since I rarely see my BN out and about I dont know if he has been like this for long or even if there is a problem but his scales seem to be poking out a bit.

He is a big boy easily 7-8 cms long and about as round as a 20 cent piece ,( flat against glass) his side fins are in proportion to his body so I assume he is OK.

IMG_0036.jpg

Does he look OK?

I'm no expert on bristlenose but I didn't think they had scales. Don't they just have bony plates? What are you feeding him? He looks kinda thin in this pic. Any chance of a clearer pic? I suppose you'd need to lure him out of hiding first.

Ill try and get a pic ..he is pretty shy though..he eats bottom feeder pellets and will tuck into bloodworms , he is always chewing on his driftwood .

If he is thin would that explain the plates sticking out like that????

I've got a BN that looks exactly like that, plates sticking out and for a while there I thought it was sick but it never died and didn't seem to have any signs of illness eg velvet or white spot so I just let it go. At one point I had 5 BN in there but they kept going missing. I think they were either dying and eating each other or fighting, killing and eating each other. There's one survivor now as the other got put in the Oscar tank and became food :)

He just looks slim to me. Your tank is too clean :) I think once you pork him up he'll look a lot smoother.

Try feeding him slices of zucchini and lettuce (strap it to a rock with an elastic to get it to sink) and some spirulina tabs. If he's taking meaty foods that is good too, but chances are the other fish get a fair bit of the meal and he really needs to be grazing more than gorging so having some sort of veggie matter for him to chow down on throughout the day should give him a chance to put on a bit of bulk.

Archived