Betta's Fins on the Top Gone...

matTaku

I don't know if my fish is sick or if my cat attacked my fish but my fish's top fins are almost all gone with only a little left. Is there a possiblity that this is some sort of diseases? or is it my cat. But anyways now that it's happened. Will the fins affect my fish's spawning? And genes... if my fish decides to have babies, will his fins affect his baby's genes??

n510787557_412451_3919.jpg

n510787557_412452_4187.jpg

n510787557_412453_4441.jpg

if your arm gets chopped off does it affect your genetics? no :)

and in this case his fins will grow back anyways given time.

I'd guess it was the cat. keep an eye on him as you don't want an infection to set in. treat with some melafix, pimafix and salt to inhibit infection. he'll be fine.

if your arm gets chopped off does it affect your genetics? no :)

and in this case his fins will grow back anyways given time.

I'd guess it was the cat. keep an eye on him as you don't want an infection to set in. treat with some melafix, pimafix and salt to inhibit infection. he'll be fine.

What does an infection look like? My fish's remaining top fins are a bit brown on the edges. Is this just normal or is this an infection?? And would aquatan and Atison's Betta SPA help if it was an infection?

Hey M... The brown edges could well be the start of an infection or finrot ..The Atison betta spa does have salt in it so thats good to use . Can you get melafix or pimafix over there??? I have never heard of aquatan so cant help you there.

Maybe you should tell the LFS the problem and if they dont have the meds. suggested here then they should have something similar. Good luck.

The fin loss wont affect him at all genetically and with the right med. he will be back to normal in a couple of months.

I would assume that it is finrot. You can search this forum for info on finrot, or look at the articles we host here, which can be accessed via our homepage, www.ausaqua.net . SOME people don't find the articles useful.... but I'm over that now.

That dorsal looks like injury, so chances are that the tail fraying has come on in response to that.

I think he looks OK for the moment, I'd just make sure he's not stressed (don't breed him or flare him too long) and maybe add some ketapang (IAL) extract. Keep the water clean and make sure the ammonia stays down. If you aren't using a filter, I'd consider adding a sponge filter at about 1 bubble per second just to help kep the water stable as ammonia and nitrite (the waste that builds up in new tanks, part of the reason they go murky) will burn the new skin and make the problem worse.

The bacteria that cause finrot are contagious, but in this case, what with the missing fin, I wouldn't be too concerned. Just be careful not to share nets and buckets with this tank until he's better.

Archived