Feeding my Betta Sea Monkeys

matTaku

maybe do some more research into sea monkeys...if they are sold as sea monkeys I think there is something added to the eggs that may be harmful to fish but if they are sold as brine shrimp then they are OK.

Im sure this has been discussed on the forum before so maybe someone else can recall it and advise you better. In the meantime dont feed them sea monkeys until you are sure.

Sea Monkeys = Artemia nyos

Standard Brine Shrimp = Artemia salina

They are fine, just fairly expensive for a live meal :D

I think Mat might me talking about the frozen cube ones you see in with the beef heart and bloodworms anyway :D If it is those (they'd be A. salina) then yes they are fine to feed but if your betta is in a small unfiltered bowl, careful not to overfeed as frozen food rots quickly when it is uneaten. Also, a varied diet makes for a healthy fish, so mix it up a bit. Give some pellets and maybe some other frozen foods as well (but avoid beef heart, it isn't really balanced for fish and can cause problems long term)

• 2 months later...

seamonkeys are hybrids of normal brine shrimp. They are pretty much the same thing though seamonkeys cost a whole lot more and you never have enough ( especially if breeding bettas). I have a seamonkeys kit and bought it for feeding my bettas. It isn't worth it really. I have had success in hatching brine shrimp eggs in the seamonkey solution and had no problems feeding them to my betta fry. Btw I wouldn't feed them too often because of the risk of swim bladder disorder.

Archived