ghost knife in community tanks

shooshoo

will a ghost knife kill my gourami? i know it will pick off any guppies and tetras... also, would large bristlenose be safe, and khoolie loaches? any advice would be appreciated. also, can more than one ghost knife be kept together? and what tank size do they require? will they grow according to tank size or are they likely to be stunted by a tank that is too small?

thanks all.

I found on Wikipedia that they grow to 50cm and they should be kept in minimum 75g tank (at least 4 foot, and high, or a 5 foot and long). 50cm seems to be their maximum growth according to most fact sheets I found on the net.

On this other page there are some companions listed: http://fish.mongabay.com/species/Apteronotus_albifrons.html

I don't think I'd put discus in with one, but it says gourami's can go with them. Think if you want to put one in a 3ft tank though, you wouldn't be able to have any tankmates once it got big enough...

We have 2 OF THEM in a 6x2.5x2 tank with Silver dollars, Oscars, a pair of Bristlenose and a Gibby. All seem to get along well with minimal fighting however we have lots of logs, holes etc for everyone and it is heavily planted. Mind you the Ghost Knife do chase each other around the tank occasionally but never seem to harm each other and it's for a few minutes at most. I wouldn't keep more than 1 in any smaller tank personally

cheers

Debi (& Step)

• 2 weeks later...

You can always trade up or trade down as they grow. Tank sizes are generally based on activity level, biological need or potential size in captivity. In this case I think you could get a small BGK for your 3' and either trade it at the LFS for a 'newer model' as it grows larger (before it stunts, so don't wait until it stops growing) or trade up to a larger tank. a 6x2x2 would be ideal :rolleyes: They do grow fairly rabildly when they are small though, and this plan does rely on you not getting attached and having an LFS that'll trade. Of course, you could always sell the larger one privately and just buy a new small one if they won't.

Unless your gourami is a sparkling, I think it should be safe with a small BGK.

Archived