Finally

Tara

Hi

I finally bought my 2ft tank for my females yesterday it holds 74 Litres, I put the first coat of paint on the stand two more to go and I can start setting it up. I was wondering when it's time to add my females how should I go about it add one at a time or three straight up as I know from experience just two females dosent work, I only have four females to put in there but was wondering if it would be safe to also put in my 3 month old females that I'm keeping or would the adults pick on them. I know I will need plants but roughly how many would I need, I was also thinking of adding some drift would and maybe some terracotta pots for other hiding spots. What do you think?

well i just threw 8 females into my new 2 ft tank yesterday, just grabbed one after the other and tossed em in there. they flared and had a couple of chasies but only one girl has one chunk out of her which is a very minor one.

I've got 1 bunch of hornwart that i split up into 4-5 pieces and tried to plant (though my girls have oulled a few loose wiggling around) I've also got an ornament as well (castle) and a couple chunks of zeolite.

All girlies are happy and healthy and getting along just fine :lol:

I might get some more hornwart and I'm going to raise the level another inch or 2 :)

PIC_0036.jpg

Simple but very nice. Are you using a filter? I've just bought a large sponge one off ebay only cost me $10.90 but now I need a glass cutter to make a hole for the air outlet might just take glass back to where I got it from and ask them to cut it for me.

I'll be putting a heater in as soon as I clean it up (it needs cleaning because it came from a suspect tank)

I haven't got a filter in there as yet, I'm planning to put a large sponge up the back :shifty: just gotta work around a few things 1st lol.

Here's the girls tank.

http://i237.photobucket.com/albums/ff217/c...ly/DSCF6367.jpg

But disaster struck last night. I put the girls in one after the other and they seem to get along ok a little flaring and a few fin nips but nothing major, then Violet (DTPK) decided she was going to be boss each girls submitted to her but that wasnt enough she just kept chasing them even when they were just laying on the bottom resting, the other girls were getting stressed out so I removed her and placed her in a seperate container and floated her in the girl tank after doing this a few times and for longer periods of time she seemed to have calmed down so I put her back in the girls tank she just nipped a little but then everything seemed settled, we had to go out for a few hours and when we got back my poor HM had most of her tail fins missing and looked half dead so I removed her and put her in a medicated tank she is still holding on but not looking good she has a like a fungus bloom on her fins and hardly any colour I think I might have too PTS she is eating but she isnt swimming just staying near the top. I removed the DTPK and put her in her own tank because when I checked on my CT female she looked like she had the crap beaten out of her and was swimming really funny so I removed her as well placed her also in a medicated tank but found her dead this morning and my Vt girl looked worse for wear and very stressed so she is in her own tank as well but is looking better. So my girl tank was empty so I decided to bring my VT/DT fry in from outside as they dont some to be growing very well and have placed them in the girls tank for now. I think my DTPK will be living the rest of her life in her own tank. I feel really bad and know it is my own fault that I have lost my favourite female with the second one not far behind, I should have removed the DTPK before we went out just in case. :worship:

Yes she is the mother of the DTPK, I have for sale, I'm quite shocked as she wasnt even that agressive in spawning and she always looks so gently swimming around her tank, all the females were in their tanks next to each other even before I put them in the girl tank together and she never showed any signs of aggresion. Thankgoodness her daughter's are happy to be housed together for now.

she sounds like a terror!

Although I've had girls who were quite docile and then spawned them but then when reintroduced them to the girl tank they've changed and become more domineering, wanting to be the boss... No explanation I can think of and it doens't happen with all of them either... oh well good luck with the others!

Sorry to hear about your girls :) I used to have a girl that was like that, only she was so bad I couldn't put her with girls or boys. I have 10 girls living in a planted tank with some bristlenose at the moment and they all get on well. They will flare & chase each other if one is taken out for breeding as the hierarchy has changed but they settle down quickly & have only ever given each other very minor nips. I find feeding them when you take any out or put any in helps to take their mind off it...just make sure you spread the food over the tank as even the most peaceful girls can fight if they are going for the same food.

Ok not only have I lost my HM girl this morning I also find my DTPK dead who didnt show any signs of illness. I guess thats karma for you. Now I'm down to 1 adult VT who is the only girl that has survived from the girly tank. At least I have daughters from my CT and DTPK.

The VT/DT fry seem to be loving the girly tank and showing no signs of illness in fact they look like they have grown bigger overnight.

Now I definately have a reason to purchase more fish.

Archived