Tank reno

jusdeb

Id like to remove the gravel in my fighter tanks and replace it with more natural gravel and go full on with the plants...

Any suggestions as to maintaining my bacteria in the changeover would be appreciated.. i have sponge filters and would like to keep the bacteria in them alive as Ive had no problems with these tanks .

They are 25 litre splish/splash tanks.

Also is it alright to trim the roots of the existing plants when transpalnting them....Thanx.

You can plant the crypt directly into the gravel. Definitely don't trim the roots of the crypt. They really dislike having their roots disturbed. Just ease it out of the pot and plant the entire root ball. Some potted crypts are grown in a fibrous material. Just leave this alone so as not to disturb the crypt. The roots will grow out of it eventually and spread into the gravel.

Keep as much of the water you siphon out as you can, and leave the mulm under the gravel there after you take out the gravel. Add a thin layer of aquarium substrate or unenriched low grade potting soil on top of the mulm, plant your new plants into it and then add the new gravel and the old water back. Syphon it onto a plate to stop disturbance.

Pulled the Betta tanks down today and replaced the dark gravel with a lighter gravel. Im not sure if I like it but it highlights the fish better and the tanks seem a lot brighter with the lights on.

Im a bit restricted with plant variety as I relly on LFS for plants as all the ones Ive ordered online just die on me , so Ive just split up what I had and Ill see how they go.

Here are the before pics...

PC100001.jpg

PC100003.jpg

And the afters...

PC260046.jpg

PC260047.jpg

Archived