aquatic bush turkey =_=

well so much for my idea of a lovely planted tank =_= no one mentioned before that gouramis males are the aquatic version of the bush turkey! the damn thing has torn 60% of the moss off my log for his nests, and has created tunnels in the rest of the moss so that it looks so ratty, AND he keeps biting off the leaves of my banana lilies for that damn nest! the only thing he hasn't ruined is the anubias and that's because it's too thick for him to chew through >.<

is there ANY way to stop him? or am i going to have to make this into a gouramis proof tank? also, would he rip up any ground cover i plant?? i had some kinda small plant in there (i think it was a val) and every time it sprouts he rips it's leaves off :-/

LOL...I have given in to my gouramis and put in silk plants...I still see them having a chew and nibbling away at the leaves but they cant do any damage....I got sick of having to replant everything every day not to mention the cost of replacing plants .

They still get their jollies though by chewing on the Indian Almond Leaf I put in with them .

unfortunately i can't stace, i've got nowhere else to put him! and he is so very pretty :3 i kinda thought he may stop the nest building once he'd killed the girl, but he just got even worse :-/

would adding more males to the tank fix the problem or just make it worse?? and would they fight?? he's a dwarf and i was thinking of getting another few males dwarf gouramis to try and curb his behavior???

ok so i cleaned the tank today and decided to take a pic before the water went too dark again.

gouramitank.jpg

as you can see, mr gouramis (in the front there) has a lovely sized nest. about 20cm in diameter and an inch deep. and all of it is thickly matted java moss >.<

and see that log? it WAS completely covered in java moss about an inch deep before mr gouramis got to it =_= also the banana lilies are being picked at a lot - you can see where he's bit through the stems or nibbled at the leaves in the pic >.< and all the val is completely gone as well :dontknow:

i added that hair grass today to see if he'd attack it :-/ for some reason, he won't pick up the java moss from the bottom of the tank, so i'm hoping the hair grass is safe :P

that anubias (moved to the front today to give it more light) is the only thing he hasn't attacked! <_< just as well i want a couple of A. coffeafolia's to pop in the back of the tank.

is there any alternative weeping plant that i could pop onto the lower section of the log? i could let him have all the java moss if that was the case.

please excuse the rubber bands, they're just to hold the plants in place until they've enough roots :unsure:

yeah, gonna raid furrballs tomorrow :)

on the plus side, i think he's really lazy, because he's obviously decided the java moss is easier to pull out than the hair grass, and has stopped attacking it quite so much :P he only goes for it when he absolutely MUST have the hair grass to fill in some weird need for decor in the nest :P

the turq BF :< no idea what happened. he just stopped flaring and being active one day, stopped eating the next, and was dead the day after that - no sign of illness or disease at all T_T i think he may have been depressed and i didn't catch on in time T_T

well i got more plants for the tank today >.> mostly hair grass - i want to plant out the entire front of the tank with anubias coffeafolia in the back (moving the filter behind the driftwood, out of sight). i dunno what the tall plant in there is, but it's nice, so i may plant a few of those in amongst the hair grass. mostly it should be a gouramis proof tank!

tank_small.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Oh not sure but I think the elodea is stuffing up natural water ways....some silly people have let it escape from their ponds , but I have seen it lately on web sites selling aquatic plants. So not sure what the story is there.

Archived