PH Puzzle

fish4nic

OK

I have three community tanks and all have PH level of 7 except one which is at 6 (might even be lower but my testing kit doesn't go down any further...but does go up a lot more)

My aged water is PH 7

My aged and treated water is PH 7

After 40% wc still reading 6

Filter is one of those little underwater all in one thing with the sponge inside (small tank).

Java moss and little piece of drifwood with miniature anubia???? plant on it.

Has no dedicated light source ....but is next to a lit tank.

The point of difference for this tank would be that it has no substrate or gravel and is not as heavily planted as my other two.

I had a common BN just die in this tank which promted me do do the water check straight away.

Can anyone please offer advice on what could be causing this and how to overcome?

thnx

Nic

:P

Have you checked ammonia, nitrite and nitrate? Maybe it hasn't cycled properly. How big is the tank? Perhaps the filter is too small to provide sufficient surface area for nitrifying bacteria and since there's no gravel, that could be making a difference. What fish are in that tank? I'd suggest daily water changes until the pH is neutral again. And if you haven't got the other test kits, take a water sample to your LFS and get them to test it.

Have you checked ammonia, nitrite and nitrate? Maybe it hasn't cycled properly. How big is the tank? Perhaps the filter is too small to provide sufficient surface area for nitrifying bacteria and since there's no gravel, that could be making a difference. What fish are in that tank? I'd suggest daily water changes until the pH is neutral again. And if you haven't got the other test kits, take a water sample to your LFS and get them to test it.

All other readings 0 (amonia, nitrite and nitrate)

400w x 200d x 230h

I betta female and the dead BN

I use it as a quarantine tank/keeping some of my boys warm over winter kinda thing and was about to use it as a breeding tank....so clearly I won't be doing that :P

I dunno. I think if you just wash it out and start again, you should still be able to use it as a spawning tank.

OK (thinking why did I not think to do that)

And just leave the filter turned off in case it,s recycling or something and move them to a filtered grow out tank later?

Yeh

Ok off to get busy

Thnx for the info...you are a wealth you know

Nic

Don't leave the filter in there if you're not going to turn it on. Probably best to wash out that filter thoroughly and start cycling it again. It might be harbouring nasties. If you've got another tank with fish in it, it won't hurt to give them a spare filter. Then you just lift it out and move it to the grow out tank or spawning tank and it'll be ready to go.

Sounds like "Old Tank Syndrome" to me (google it). I had the same thing happen. I had a pH of around 7.6 then it crashed to 6 (or less) whilst I was cycling the tank.

What I discovered was that the water I was using was very soft out of the tap. Can you test for KH and GH? Adding 1/4 cup crushed coral sand increased both the KH and pH of my tank.

Advice given to me:

In a nutshell...

KH is a acid sponge, KH below 3'-4'kh is a very small sponge, once it soaks up all it it can hold the acids will cause a pH crash.

This is a fairly common issue in some areas and one of the easiest to handle when it comes to adjusting water chemistry.

As stated...

CC is a good natural remedy for very low KH, I use it in all my tanks as my local water was <1'-1'KH.

It will raise both pH/KH.

Start small, be very patient, I recommend waiting at least a week before adjusting amount of CC.

Archived