dwarf gouramis

Celeste84

ok so i have a female dwarf gouramis and a male dwarf flame gouramis, only problem is i've never had them before. so far i've just been treating them like my bettas.

for example leaving an inch of air at the surface of the tank's water, feeding them things like blood and black worms, making sure the water is at 26c, etc....they're in a 3ft tank with 8 black widow tetras and a pair of bronze cories, and i want another pair in there eventually.

what i want to know is, are there any specific rules to keeping gouramis? and would a lightly planted black water tank be OK for them?

They like plenty of places to hide out...mine stay hidden most of the time , they only really come out to eat and to do their courtship dance which is pretty cool to watch. My water is the same as the Bettas except I dont age it . They eat just about anything I give them which is flake food ,betta food,frozen brine shrimp, frozen bloodworm , dried tubifex and krill and mushy pea .

mine hide sometimes (the log has a few caves in it), but mostly the girl hangs about with the tetras and they're both really active! i was only gonna put 3 large anubias, some java moss on the log and 4 banana lilies in the tank plants wise, nothing too much and plants that are hardy and easy to clean.

so far i'm feeding them bloodworms, blackworms and brineshrimps, and the rest of the tank mates are thanking them for it!

That sounds like plenty of plant life for them . Mine just hide behind a rock. I think they just like the security of having places to dart into if they feel skittish. I have smaller Lemon gouramis that hang in between the plant leaves and seem to graze on the algae on the leaves . I think my dwarfs are getting on a bit which is why they hide so much .Anyway sounds like you have everything under control so just kick back and enjoy them they really are great liitle fish .

Mine were gutzes when I had them, they'd eat the brine shrimp right off the tip of my finger. I'd see them for maybe 2 hours of the day and then they'd be hidden which seemed insane to me coz at the time I only really had 2 peices of lava rock in there for them to hide in and not that many plants! They only difference I know of between them and bettas in regards to treatment is that they prefer a trio, much like guppy's, rather than a pair. There should be 2 females to every male so that there are enough females and the males won't fight over them, but inevitably they will squabble if they like the same girl...like most men! :(

• 3 weeks later...

ok so i only got the one pair - i decided to let them enjoy the tank more instead of forming territories. gonna get a school of flame tetras instead.

anyways, the boy made a MASSIVE bubble nest - it puts all bettas in the world to shame :thumbs: the pair are wrapping as i speak, so, HELP! what do i do? i doubt the fry will survive with all the tetras in the tank..but...just in case?

Honestly, I wouldn't worry too much. They're amazingly hardy fish, and they're absolutely beautiful.

They can tolerate temperatures in the mid to high twenties without an issue. I kept mine (opalines) at 27 in a 40L tank without fussing with PH, only fed them pellets (they LOVED the betta pellets my bettas refused to eat) with some odd brine shrimp feedings thrown in, and they lived for five and a half years (it might have been more than six, I'm not sure of their age when I bought them). One eventually succumbed to white spot, and the other pined away and died a week later. They're great fish, I've been thinking of getting some again.

mine are in a 3ft (afound 110L) blackwater tank that's still in the process of adding plants (they actually built the nest a few days after i added the moss), and it's at 26c. i have no idea about the pH as i don't mess with it LOL

they're very healthy and happy and get fed bloodworms and brine shrimps at least twice a week, live black or white worms once a week, and some pellets the rest of the time :);; they share the tank with 8 black widow tetras, a breeding pair of bronze cories and a lone CAE who schools with the cories LOL gonna add 10 flame tetras in there next week as well :)

it's really hard to get pics of the fish in this tank as the water goes darker in pics :(

BUT here's some pics of the bubblenest. i'll keep the images away from my male bettas as they need some self esteem!

gouraminest1.jpg

gouraminest2.jpg

i'm assuming that since dad is a dwarf flame gourami that's what the fry will be? or are the different types of dwarf's just different phenotypes and not separate species?

thanks! would you believe the nest is 2" tall?? at least i can turn the light off at night and know the nest won't dissolve XD

i'm not really expecting the fry to survive in the community tank (i may pop some in with my betta fry), but if they do it'll be great!

I don't suppose there's anyway you can remove the other fish and put them elsewhere. I think your expectations of their chances of survival are pretty spot on. But I'm sensing that deep in your heart you'd like them to survive. Moving the other fish would give them a good chance. Or I suppose you could just let these ones go and set up a proper spawning tank for them away from the tetras.

no room for any more tanks :< so no spawning tank and no where to put the other fish! but like i said, i may be able to grab some of the fry and put them in with the CT fry and see if they can grow with them :D

how long until i see the gouramis fry btw?? the nest is now 70% java moss - damn dad is stripping my log LOL - so i guess it should be soon??

Archived