Foods without wheat gluten and soy - which are they?

finley

Hi

My community tank fish get plenty of protein from live food and a shrimp-based tablet food. However, they are missing sufficient green plant foods. So, today I went looking for foods that have a large component of green stuff in them, BUT everything that I found contained lots of wheat gluten and soy flour!!! :dontknow: Ug!!

I'm not willing to feed my poor fish that kind of nasty non-nutritional 'filler' - I want a quality product which contains mostly what fish would naturally eat. Does anyone have a brand on their shelves with really healthy natural ingredients, including green stuff? What is it?

Thanks,

Finley

But isn't the flour there so that the food can keep it's shape, whether it's a pellet or flake? Not sure if some kind of binding agent can be avoided when you're manufacturing dry food, especially if you want it to float for a bit and not sink directly to the bottom of the tank before the fish knows it's there. Or just dissolve without getting eaten. :dontknow:

Well, out of all of mine, only Nutrafin Max brand press-on pellets had no gluten, soy lethacin or wheat flour. It also had no greens, nothing but worms and fish meal, and is a bit hit and miss as it doesn't 'behave' like food. The bettas guard it, and guts on it, and then scoot around like mopeds for a few hours because the stuff is just so heavy in their gut.

I think Razzi is right on the money and that they are being used as binders and possibly fillers, probably mainly to allow the pellets to press correctly or to sink/float the way they want.

I feed the sushi nori from the asian supermarket (less/no preservatives) occasionally as green matter, that seems pretty popular. Maybe that could be an option? Or peas, lettuce (cos, butter, etc) and zucchini? None are really freshwater greenery, but they do make a nice change :dontknow:

Archived