attaching plants to driftwood

• 5 weeks later...

Some aquarium shops have special plant ties, but cable ties will do just as well. I'm about to start planting my 70L tank and I'll be using cotton embroidery thread for the job, I've attached aquatic plants to driftwood before using cable ties, cotton and embroidery thread before and I prefer the embroidery thread, it's stronger than the single cotton thread and not as noticeable as the cable ties.

The only thing is I've found that if you tie the cotton too tightly around the stem, it can cut in and kill the plant. I find this is far less likely to happen with the thicker embroidery thread.

The only thing is I've found that if you tie the cotton too tightly around the stem, it can cut in and kill the plant. I find this is far less likely to happen with the thicker embroidery thread.

Scuse my ignorance :giggle: but is embroidery the silky kind of thread they sell in little bundles rather than on the reel?

Does it rot eventually as well?

Nic

Well after I posted this thread 4 weeks ago I got a bit lazy and just secured the anubia with 2 rubber bands ( temporary solution ) then sort of never got around to using the thread . But its all good because the roots have grown into the little crevices in the wood and from the outside looking in the plant seems to be securing itself by itself.I wont push my luck and jiggle it but it seems to be working well,and the anubia is shooting new leaves...so far so good.

Archived