Adelaide Royal Show

Betta_Endeavours

Well we went there yesterday afternoon. We went straight for the fish area and it was a disapointing sight. There were a lot of empty spots and a few rather ordinary enttries. Only 2 bettas or 1 entry and they were pet shop fish and there fins were sporting the odd tear.

The hall where they were/are is going to be demolished soon and no idea if or where the aquia will be next year.

I went along to the aquarium society meeting last night, and the 'official' comment was that the entries were down, and that they urged everyone to consider entering next year, to promote the hobby, etc. It was mentioned to me that there are many categories that don't have any entries at all, although I'd be most inclined to enter a planted tank (which would apparently be going in the 'novelty tank' category... lol)

The meeting made me feel that the aquarium society may just have been a little left behind by the internet, and indeed forums like this one - while the people that were there seemed nice enough, they certainly didn't go out of their way to greet or welcome the various visitors that came along, and on the whole there wasn't a lot of knowledge on display - their website still shows dates for 2000/2001, and nobody there could tell me what the situation is with that...

I'll probably go to another meeting, just to see if this one was the norm or not - I might even join up, just to get the 11 copies of the magazine (I'm not sure *what* would be in that, there was no competition or anything) - but the guest speaker was excellent - I just felt that the 'society' is still a little too much in it's 1918 history than being a resource of/for the future... maybe I can drag it kicking and screaming that way???? :D

That's really interesting Stuart. I have often thought of going but just never got there, always been a little bit timid about it due to not having a wealth of knowledge about fish, think the terms society has put me off! can you let me know when and where the next one is and I might be able to go along and see for myself!

Cheers, Heidi

It'll be October 9th, at the Payneham Community Hall - it's in a unmarked room down the back of the building - although I may be cheeky and print a nice 'Aquarium Society' sign and take along, too... :D

They're definitely not intimidating from a 'we know fish' viewpoint - I too think the 'society' makes it sound like it's going to be *very* formal and organised...

Because the society members are mostly, lets say, senior, there was a lot of grumbling about having to go in to the crowds to care for the fish - whilst I usually see free admission as an exhibitor as a bonus (being the official photographer for the Adelaide Orchid Society covers that) if you don't like the show, having to go for 10 days would be a punishment...

Anyone can enter though - maybe it's worth us forumee's making a showing there next year??? :D

• 4 weeks later...

Maybe it's just me, but I always thought the SA Aquarium Society was a bit of an Old Boys club. There are some very talented members, but I think the appearance of a visitor and potential new member is so rare, they don't know what to do about it. The SA Native Fish Assoc is much more dynamic. For real talent in an informal setting, the SA Fish-Breeders is the pinnacle, but membership is limited.

Keith

• 5 weeks later...

I figured there must be aquarium societies in South Australia, they've just always seemed so low-key.

I'll definitely be entering the RAS next year, despite the decline in entries. I've wanted to ever since I first got into Bettas six years ago, and now I finally have some show quality options.

Sounds good but where would you have something like this. We are pretty spread out across the metro area.

When I was in the hobby first up I had thought of having a small betta group in Adelaide but I'm not sure there would ever be enough people to sustain a club or even semi regular meetings.

I am 4 hours from Adelaide but would be interestied in supporting anything which benefits fish breeders..

I could perhaps toss a few Betta's in to next years show perhaps..

Maybe if we all band together and support it, it may improve..

I guess its hard for them to be enthusiastic if there is not much in the way of entries..

if you decide to do something.. let me know..My email should be accessable through here isnt it?

Thanks..

I think you guys need to do your own thing separate from the RAS. It really hard to change an established club. They're so used to things being a certain way. I reckon the way to go is just to organise 3 or 4 events a year, giving everyone plenty of notice. Nothing fancy, just bring a few bettas, lots of beverage, have a bit of a table show and a trading table and a bit of a yarn about colour genetics. Doesn't need to have a multitude turning up, 8 to 10 people would be just fine.

I agree with Faewyn, why not have an informal get together to see what the level of interest is, could be an AAQ one rather than just betta specific and have a more meet and greet focus, maybe bring along some fish too.

I missed last month's meeting too Stuart, when's this month'? Probably last night or tonight knowing my luck!

Pop a thread in the events and announcements forum and people who are interested can post the days and dates they are free

i.e Sat/Sun November the 25th etc

Then we can decide somewhere central too meet and decide where to go! :wub:

Archived