counting hm rays

justin

I can tell you what i do to count female rays and check out there tails. I place my females in a bare bottom tank (10litres) I dont feed them for 4 days after that i over feed them with live worms. They will eat that much they will just sit on the bottom of the tank with there bodies at a angle with there tails spread wide apart.

eeek! just to count rays!? Very risky business! get a stick-on betta barracks, much much safer.

Fin rays work somewhat like tree branches, at a certain point they fork into two. In some fish (plakats, VTs etc) that is as far as it goes, but when you are talking rays, the more rays that a fish has, the more times they have forked in two. That forking is why the ray numbers are always in 2, 4, 8, 16 etc, there are always double the amount of the previous split because each one forms two new rays.

Check out this picture from Joep's site, what you are counting are the batches of rays that are coloured in orange. Here is the rest of the article on HMs if you want to have a read :)

A photo is easiest, but as mentioned above, betta barracks can work well as you can get the fish flaring parallel to the front glass at a distance that makes it easy to check.

Archived