Epoxy resin

axoloto

I've only ever heard of silicone being used in tanks. And there seems to be many types of silicone and the aquarium one states specifically that it's meant for use in aquariums. So I'm guessing that there are probably different types of epoxy glue as well. Does the packaging have any safety instructions?

You can use epoxy resin to paint ply... i have see in done before... they used ply for the back... sides.... and bottom and usually have glass or perspex front... man i wish i remembered the site... it had step by step instructions! i have a look for you.

found some see below

All the ply tanks I have seen made are from marine ply screwed together with brass or non corrosive screws with silicon in the joints.

They are then put inside a firmly fitting steel frame and the whole lot is fibre glassed over. The colour is added to the fibreglass that way there is no paint to be scratched or peel off inside your tank.

The steel frame is to give extra strength as all the tanks I’ve seen made are over 3 feet high. A glass panel is held in place with silicon to the inside of the box so the water pressure pushes it hard against the timber and silicon.

cheers

What exactly is it that you want to do?

I'd guess that a fair few epoxies could be used in small amounts, but remember hearing about some chemical leach in some types, so I've avoided them. I think it had to do with a lot of the types being designed for yacht hulls and having barnacle repellants in them (whatever they are??)

You can also use plain old superglue for in-tank sticking, it is a bit of a mainstay with reef tanks.

What exactly is it that you want to do?

I broke a plastic turtle shell that I really like and I need an alternative to silicone to do a permanent job.

I would also like something to help with my home made hatcheries and other odds and ends where silicone just doesnt cut it.

Super glue? Wow I'd think that was the last thing one could use safely, please tell me more on how,what they

use it for. It would come in very handy for a few things I made and not completed because silcone was thought

to be the only option.

Thank's for all the help. JD

Make sure it is just ordinary superglue (cyanoacrylate - check the ingredient listing) and you are set. They use it for sticking coral frags (chunks of hard coral) together in those snazzy SW tanks. I'm not 100% certain but I think they do it underwater too?? I've used it a few times to repair ornaments and stick weights on things. My only gripe is that if it gets where you don't want it, it tends to give a white discolouration.

Archived