A Couple of Questions

SanSuprimo

Ok i have got some questions and i'm hopeing that someone can help me with them.

1. Can you put gold fish in with a male betta?

2. Can you feed gold fist frozen brine shrimp?

3. Is it true that if you spawn betta's and you get 3 males and you don't seprate them at all that you can keep them in the same tank?

4. What live plants are hard to kill and suitable for gold fish or betta's?

5. Is their any other breed of fish that you can put in with a male betta?

if anyone can answer any of them it would be great :fun:

thankyou Jess :fun:

I don't know much about goldfish so I'll just have a go at the betta questions.

3. Is it true that if you spawn betta's and you get 3 males and you don't seprate them at all that you can keep them in the same tank?

Nope. They will eventually start taking nips at each other.

4. What live plants are hard to kill and suitable for gold fish or betta's?

I know that goldfish are pretty much plant destroyers although I think I have seen some planted tanks with goldfish in them. I think things like elodea, vallisneria, sagittaria are worth considering. The goldfish folk will be able to give more advice.

5. Is their any other breed of fish that you can put in with a male betta?

You can put male bettas in community tanks with any peaceful fish that won't nip at their fins. Some examples are guppies, swordtails, neon tetras, cardinal tetras, platies, sucking cats, kuhli loaches, siamese algae eaters, dwarf cichlids, angels.

Ok. I'll try and answer...

1. Generally not. Gold fish require a huge body of water because they are quite messy fish. Also goldfish are cold water fish while betta prefer tropical warm water. That's just two reasons. I don't think either fish would be happy with each other.

2. I don't know the answer to this

3. They eventually start getting more and more agitated toward each other - you'll find them ripping fins eventually. Having said that, I'm sure it's been done.

4. Gold fish will eat plants of any kind virtually. I've got an oscar and silver dollars (notorious plant eaters) and the only plant I've had success keeping with them is the Java Fern. Apparently it tastes bitter so they don't eat it.

5. You can keep small species of fish with male betta. People say a small school of neons is ok. As long as they aren't nippers, or have too colourful elaborate fins themselves they should do ok. Other people keep cories with their betta. Avoid barbs and fancy tail guppies.

Good luck with your betta and/or goldfish!

i wouldn't suggest putting guppies or tetras in with them. my bettas ate all my guppies (while they were still alive) and just killed the tetras outright :fun: various types of catfish are good as they also help keep the tank clean :wub: i like bristle nosed catfish personally.

i had three males that were raised together (from different spawns). they nipped at each other a lot when they were younger, but as they settled in and got older they'd often escape from the barracks and sit together on the elodea (like a bunch of old men on a porch XD ). that said, it always made me extremely nervous when i found out they HAD escaped, just in case they had a bad day :fun:

Archived