TIger Barbs

sxcsamman

hey guys

im planning to get tiger barbs for my 5 ft tank and was wondering what other fish i can keep with them. also i wanted plants in the tank and was looking for a plant that i wouldnt need to do anything special for (or very little ie. no special lighting/co2/etc.) that will also survive with tiger barbs

thanks

sam :D

If you have alot of them together, their nipping behaviour is usually held back so they are pretty well safe to have with other community fish.

I would just stay away from fish with long or flowing fins etc.

Java fern and quite a lot of the crypts don't need a great deal of light but you're still going to need some. And also bear in mind that the light will need to reach the bottom of the tank so a single fluoro is probably not going to cut it. I'm not a planted tank expert but I would suggest that you would need at least a double stip of of fluoros to be able to grow plants with low to medium light requirements, depending on how deep that tank is.

i have a double fluro the lenght of the tank so thats not the problem its just i dont want to have to do co2 and that stuff

just a question is there any real diffrence betweeen using gravel or sand as im thinking of using sand

thasnk

sam

The common concensus is to not keep Tiger Barbs with 'soft' community fish - in bigger groups, they are *less* nippy than in small groups and individuals, but even in large groups they'll still go for the nice, friendly community fish like mollies, guppies, platy's, etc... they like fins, so angels and the like are out... betta's aren't a good choice - keep them with other 'tough' fish that are a little aggressive with each other - they can handle the behaviour... be aware that a pack of Tiger Barbs can decimate a tank if they turn aggressive, overnight...

As for plants, generally it's recommended to keep the tank not too heavily planted - I wonder if that follows that if they can't see their 'group' they get aggressive to protect themselves??? Now, when you get down to it, Tigers are omnivores... they'll eat anything... soft plants will get eaten before tough plants... Java Fern will suit your light requirements, and your preference for 'no CO2' - Anubias suit the light, too, but may get their new growth nibbled on... most stem plants will quickly get chewed, unfortunately - the Tiger Barb is perpetually hungry, so will eat what it can find...

Substrate - sand or very fine gravel is preferred for Tiger Barbs... they do dig, so choose a sand that doesn't go cloudy when disturbed...

Take a read of:

http://badmanstropicalfish.com/profiles/profile20.html

That will give you some good feedback on Tigers...

Another good write up is at:

http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/barbs/tigerbarb.php

Um - IMO 50 plus would seriously overstock a 5' tank. I wouldn't get more than 20. And then, I probably wouldn't get any other fish because to my gut, 20 barbs would be the limit. I know I tend to under-stock tanks, though, so maybe I am being overcautious.

Have you cycled the tank already? If you add 50 anything to a 5' tank you're liable to get an ammonia spike then nitrite spike, both of which could be lethal. Forgive me if you're all over that issue, it's just that I don't know you so didn't know if you would have thought of that.

Ahhh, was wondering if it was 5x2, cause 50 in a standard 5x1 would be a bit like that school of tuna in Nemo :(

Makes much more sense now. So thats about 150USGal or 560L?

I could probably find a spot for a tank that size... :(

Archived